Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998-2002 Accord Coupe Parking Sensors "GOOD"

hughezee

• Administrators

Following several installs of parking sensors over the last few years, I have found four sensor kits on the coupe a near impossible to get right on that gorgeous rear end, so I've been using a two sensor kit and the best one by a mile IMO has to be the kit from Maplins and seems well-constructed and buzzer is plenty loud so mounting near the rear shelf speakers should allow it to be audible enough even with traffic noise and the radio on.  > https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-wired-parking-sensor-kit-2-sensors-a77jk

IMG-20171018-111646%5B1%5D.jpg

They offer two options on the sensors (both included) if your not inclined to drill holes in your bumper and paint them.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This is the only relevant topic I have found so here goes. My first Coupe had a remote boot lid release operated from the key fob, a very nice feature which I miss. My current Coupe does not. Instead it has four parking censors which worked for a while initially, became intermittent then quit.

During a rear end removal to make new brackets for the number plate lights I inspected the parking  censor connectors and wiring which all appeared in excellent condition. But since no power was detected I concluded that the problem could be at the other end ? The reversing lights function perfectly.

I recently decided to have a look under the centre console and consulted the Chilton Manual which came with the car. I don't know I any of you have seen this American edition but I can assure you that you haven't missed anything ! Chocolate teapots and fireguards spring to mind !

I would be very grateful therefore to hear from anyone who has carried out the removal of the centre console as to where any blind fixings are present etc.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It would have to be a very clever meter to detect power going to the parking sensors as regardless of whether they are ultrasonic or use radio waves, it will be high frequency ac current going to them, NOT dc power. Meters do exist that can do it but without knowing what frequency and type they are, you're up a blind alley wearing a blindfold in the dark.

As far as i know, the remote boot release from the key fob is an "add-on" available on some aftermarket alarms, it's possible Honda did include it as an option but i've not seen (or heard of) a system like that as OE fit. Maybe Stu can enlighten us further?

• Like 1

• Moderators

My Coupe has remote boot release on a standard Honda fob, i presumed they were all like that? 98 to 02 anyway.

Not sure why parking sensors would foul up the boot remote but maybe its interference or a duff button on the fob?  Do you have another fob to  try . I know my one i need to hold it down for a second to activate it, its not a quick poke at it like the doors.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I doubt the two are connected Pete - are parking sensors a standard fit on the later Accords? Also is the remote boot release standard on them?

I know on my last one neither were but it was the previous gen so not necessarily relevant. From Stus original post on this thread, it would suggest parking sensors aren't available OE but that of course is just a guess on my part.

I'd make an edumacated guess the reason you have a long press for the boot release is so the alarm system knows you're about to undo the boot and temporarily disables the input from the boot switch, or the alarm would be going off, embarrassing the bejesus out of you in the middle of the supermarket car park! :lol:

I know the aftermarket system i've retro-fitted to my Sterling has a remote boot release facility but i have to unlock/disarm the main system before using it. As long as i don't open any doors while i'm in the boot, it auto-locks about 30 seconds later and re-arms. ;):D

• Like 1

Sorry PTR I think I have confused you. My reference to the boot lid remote and the parking censors was for model variant identification only. I am not aware of any interference between the two systems and this car doesn't have a remote boot lid anyway.

It is far more simple, the parking censors no longer function and I am hoping to investigate how they are activated when reverse is selected. I have no way knowing if they share the reversing light circuit / micro switch or have their own etc. etc.

So I thought that removing the centre console should be next logical task ?

• Confused 1

• Administrators

Little confused why you want to look behind the centre console (lower part I assume with gear shifter) as the sensors will most likely be connected in the boot area and powered by the reverse light itself as the selector switch is on the transmission and accessible lower passenger side wheel arch but if your dash selection lights light up I wouldn't mess with it?

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Jon said:

Sorry PTR I think I have confused you. My reference to the boot lid remote and the parking censors was for model variant identification only. 

I think I will go back to sleep ! , I am losing it, so easily distracted.....what was that you were saying??? !!!? 

Sorry Jon, completely missed the point, with Stu though, as he says start looking for connection of sensors in boot area.....

• Like 2

Thanks guys that's a relief then if I had any sort of a decent manual it might of helped.

What has been useful is your confirmation of the location of the reversing lights switch, thank you.

The investigation will proceed

• Like 2