Subscriptions & Donations ×

Struggling to Start 1994-2000 RA Honda Shuttle/ Odyssey 2.3i

hughezee

• Administrators

Well, it's not even been 24 hours since I sold on my other RA6 Odyssey and mine starts playing up with struggling to start, to be fair it's been doing it on and off for a few months according to Nikki, but I've never experienced myself until yesterday.

IMAG0007%5B1%5D.jpg

Since the setup on the relay is different to the Accord and trying to repair could kill them completely, I decided on just buying some new ones Honda Part No.: 39794-S2K-003, only to discover their stocks are depleted. :o

IMAG0006%5B1%5D.jpg

After a little research managed to secure two new  AIRTEX/WELLS 1R1421 units from the USA and should be with me within a couple of weeks, so time to let the Accord V6 stretch its legs I think :D

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Comisserations.... Typical isn't it?  Had the same myself after selling on my spares Mitrsubishi car to discover I had brake master cylinder failure on my original car 2 months later. It cost me almost half of what I got for the complete spares car to sort it when I could have so easily taken a known good unit off the spares car first without diminishing its value!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know you've almost certainly confirmed the relays are faulty Stu but have you also considred water in the fuel? A litre or two of meths added to a near empty ("Feed Me" light just come on) tank and run round for a day or two adding no more than 2 gallons of petrol should eliminate that as a possibility.

Got the same problem myself on my Coupé at the moment - runs great on gas but is reluctant to start on petrol and running on petrol (like when i ran out of gas because the filling station had none!) it runs like a bag of spanners as well.

It's nearly empty of petrol now (near full tank of gas though) and will remain so for now until i get the wheel bearing ready to fit then i have a gallon of petrol and 0.5L of meths which should sort it out. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Meths in the tank? :huh:

I don't think fuel is the issue it likes that stuff :lol: plus I stuck loads of additives ect in the tank when I got it, including one from Honda to help with water, cleaning the throttle helps temporarily so thinking either lambda or idle air control valve? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, hughezee said:

cleaning the throttle helps temporarily so thinking either lambda or idle air control valve?

If you've got decent emissions on the MoT which i seem to recall you have/had, i'd go more for the EICV/idle air control valve. It probably just needs a good dose of carb cleaner and a blat up the road, another clean then a reset. What condition are the breathers in, including the PCV valve?

• Like 1

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

If you've got decent emissions on the MoT which i seem to recall you have/had, i'd go more for the EICV/idle air control valve. It probably just needs a good dose of carb cleaner and a blat up the road, another clean then a reset. What condition are the breathers in, including the PCV valve?

I've replaced the PCV when I got it and it ran rough afterwards so swapped it for another and it was fine after that, I'm just expecting it to run like a V6, think that's probably the real issue.:lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ah, now we get down to the nitty-gritty! :lol:

The only thing that will make it run like a V6 is errrr.............................. dropping a V6 in it! ;):lol:

I'm not so sure on that gen of engines but certainly the 2.0 and 2.2 on the previous gen always sounded a bit rough by comparison to a V6, not just at idle but all through the rev range.

Still plenty smooth enough driving them though, whether manual or auto, just sounded as rough as a badgers ar5e! ;):D

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to Struggling to Start 1994-2000 RA Honda Shuttle/ Odyssey 2.3i