Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Accord Brake Hoses Copper Washers "AVOID"

hughezee

• Administrators

I have heard plenty of dislikes for copper washers with regards to braking components or related jobs but never really had many issues with reusing the steel ones provided by Honda providing they are prepared correctly or not disturbed too much if you're swapping a caliper. So haven't had much experience with them overall until now and I will not ever use them again after replacing my front brake hoses. 

IMG-20170816-121642%5B2%5D.jpgIMG-20170816-121712%5B1%5D.jpg

So after preparing all the surfaces and making the second attempt with more crapper washers, they still persist with dripping fluid both sides. :angry: So a quick call to Honda for new steel washers and banjo bolts £28 lighter after the discount. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I had a similar issue sealing a banjo joint on my Mitsubishi's high pressure fuel line around the filter output.   But then I sanded the copper washers and filter with 2000 grade wet & dry, followed by a slight cover of silicon grease - that stopped my fuel leak.

Have you ever tried hydraulics washers?  ie metal with a type of rubber either side?  They work well on various fluid sealing tasks but I have never tried them to seal brake fluid - as yet....

• Like 1

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, PaulS said:

I had a similar issue sealing a banjo joint on my Mitsubishi's high pressure fuel line around the filter output.   But then I sanded the copper washers and filter with 2000 grade wet & dry, followed by a slight cover of silicon grease - that stopped my fuel leak.

Have you ever tried hydraulics washers?  ie metal with a type of rubber either side?  They work well on various fluid sealing tasks but I have never tried them to seal brake fluid - as yet....

Thanks for your input Paul, I did prep everything I have used liquid gaskets to seal leaky fuel connections wouldn't like to try it on front brakes with the temperature changes. :huh:

3 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Yep, as I have said nothing like the real thing! Downside is the wallet emptying price....

My motto is if in doubt don't fook about or somebody asking me will this work on this, my response whats is supposed to be used. :rolleyes:

• Site Subscriber’s
54 minutes ago, PaulS said:

I would have thought that these would be ideal. Sometimes called Dowty washers because they invented them they provide a really effective seal even if the surfaces are not perfect. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Don't you mean Citroen/ Peugeot sump washers :lol: but seriously a very good point chaps, the two problems I see are the rubber will be degraded by the brake fluid unless using nitrile ones and the connection of the hose has a multi ring surface which will cut through any material on the or part of the washer, so I would be just as twitchy.

• Like 1