Subscriptions & Donations ×

Toyo T1-R Tyres

PTR200S

• Moderators

Looking at buying a new set of boots for another  , ahem, project..,:huh:  as I am changing the wheels to 16" from 15" on the front I need a 225/45/16....

There doesn't seem to be many performance tyres around ( 300 plus bhp and rear wheel drive) with this size available....

Toyo seems to be the best bet BUT the wet weather performance is only E... and yet most suppliers say excellent wet weather grip.:huh:

Best price here, plus fitting by local garage.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301247073063?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Rainsport 3 is a possibility, any thoughts anyone?

wanted to stay off Davanti, not sure if they do the size anyway, until I have put more miles on the Coupe, for evaluation....:rolleyes:

• Moderators

Thanks Bill,  yes looked at the 888,, apparently they are really good but it does seem that a lot toyo are discon and newer versions don't come in the size i want including the t1r.   

Question i guess is just how old are these tyres they are supplying if they were discon five years since. 

• Like 1

I cannot imagine Camskill selling OOD Tyres to be honest. You could call and ask I suppose...??

You're going to struggle to find other decent 16" Track Tyres. as there just isn't the demand for them. Why do you not go 17 or 18 inch? Plenty then to choose from.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

You're going to struggle to find other decent 16" Track Tyres. as there just isn't the demand for them.

You are quite right, the car has 15 on the front and 16 on the back. The change is upto 16 on the front using standard rear wheels. I was trying to keep the car on standard wheels but a move to 17 might be in order... I have Racing Reds (  Nitrons spin off, sort of) on with adjustable platforms so maybe I can get 17 on without going down to 35's tyres :(

I was just looking at your sizing.

Standard 15" is usually 195/65x15 which has an overall diameter of 25.0 inches.

The 225/45x16's you want to fit are way too small as far as diameter goes, in the order of 1 inch. Overall diameter 24 inches!

16's should at least be either 225/50x16 or 205/55x16.

On 17's the ideal would be, or should I say recommended, 225/45x17 which makes an overall diameter of 25.0 inches.

A 35 aspect ratio on 17's you would need a tyre the width of a formula-1 tyre, like 305 to get the correct overall diameter....lol... :D

I hope that helps to some degree.

Ciao.

NB. (edit): To give you an idea I run 18's with 235/40x18 tyres which give an overall diameter of 25.4 inches.

• Moderators

Thanks for the thoughts there, Bill. . Had a sudden butt clenching moment as I realised I might have a problem :wacko: but then realised you couldn't know the actual tyre size on the original wheel.

The 15 is currently running standard issue 205/55/15 potenzas ... the change to 225/45/16 only amounts to 2mm or 0.33 of a percent..... presuming I can find some !

The Toyo proxes T1-R I am chasing seem to have either an E rating for wet weather or a C rating ! Yet appear to be the same tyre :(:rolleyes: however it appears the clincher maybe that one version is marked R16 93W whilst the better C rating is ZR16 93W.... :wacko:

Both tyres are reported as excellent wet weather grip , :rolleyes: really odd... 

Hi Pete.

Not too sure if you bought the car with those size tyres. But they are wrong to begin with.

They should be either 205/60x16 (OD 25.7") OR 195/65x15 (OD 25.0") Yours: 205/55x15 (OD 23.9").

Now this isn't a bad thing in itself for general driving, but it has 4 detrimental effects, one of them being a safety issue.

1) A smaller than standard tyre rotates at a far great speed at a given speed compared to a standard tyre. This can lead to greater heat build-up especially on a larger, heavier cars, such as ours. This can lead to premature wear and even failure in some extreme cases!

2) Because of increased rotational speed the tyre will wear out quicker. More rotations per mile = less miles. ;)

3) Incorrect speed shown on the Speedo, With standard tyres speedos are set by law to over-read by about 10% more or less. So with these smaller tyres you will very rarely get a speeding fine as on top of the 10% plus the tyre size differential, about another 5% at a shown speed of 70mph you will more likely be doing about 62mph. :)

4) They will just look silly...lol. :D

But seriously, it is not recommended. In fact if you want to fit the wrong size it's better to go slightly larger, by about 2% max.

Of course it is your car and you must do what you feel is right for yourself. I'm only stating the above as fact.... :) (Except maybe the "silly" bit) :D

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mangoman said:

They should be either 205/60x16 (OD 25.7") OR 195/65x15 (OD 25.0") Yours: 205/55x15 (OD 23.9").

Hi Bill,

Perhaps I should have said that these are WIDE rims !  I realise that 195 is usually optimum size on a " standard" 6J rim with max at 205.

In this case the factory fit standard 15" wheel for this car is a 7J which will handle an optimum tyre width of around 215 but can go to 225.... in this case they are shod with the 205 standard, one up from the minimum of 195 for this rim width size.

However, the new factory fit 16" rims are 7.5J which will take an optimum 215 / 225 or at a push 235 (bit too far for me to feel safe:huh:)

Sorry, really should have given you all the info to start with as it changes a lot of parameters but thanks for the input because its made me take a hard look at what I am intending to do.. really struggling for alternative tyres with the size I want at 225/45.

This is the odd thing with the Toyo tyre, two different ratings:huh:

Toyo tyre.JPG

Mytyres show two AS WELL!  both with different ratings yet ostensibly the same tyre

Toyo 2.JPG

Hi Pete.

Right. I'll give this one more go - just so you can confirm I have the information/size you want to fit. As stated in your opening Post - 225/45x16.... Correct?

Al I have been trying to point out is that this size, 225/45x16 will give you the incorrect overall diameter, not width.

The correct fitting for the 16 inch Rim you have is: 205/55x16. Giving you an overall Diameter of 24.9 inches.

You want, or your criteria is that you have a 45% Aspect Ratio. (The Aspect Ratio being a Percentage of the overall Width of the Tyre = The Wider the Tyre the Higher the Sidewall will be with a set Aspect Ratio).

So, you want a 45 Aspect Ratio on a 16 inch Rim - Correct?

In that case the narrowest width you will require is:  245/45x16 This will give you a slightly smaller Overall Diameter of 24.7 inches.

Ideally it would be better to fit  225/50x16 giving 24.9 inches. The same as standard.

I understand what you are wanting, all I'm pointing out is Standard recommended sizing.

Whether you can get these sizes in trackday tyres is questionable....

I apologise if I seem to come over badly but all I'm trying to do is the correct size for your car, so I will say no more. :)

Personally I would go 18 inch and be done with it. Plenty of choice aswell..... ;)

Ciao.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mangoman said:

Right. I'll give this one more go - just so you can confirm I have the information/size you want to fit. As stated in your opening Post - 225/45x16.... Correct?

Al I have been trying to point out is that this size, 225/45x16 will give you the incorrect overall diameter, not width.

The correct fitting for the 16 inch Rim you have is: 205/55x16. Giving you an overall Diameter of 24.9 inches.

Hi Bill,

Now you have got me worried, where did you come up with this information,? I have got several sources I use to confirm all this and none of them have this diameter / width problem you are quoting.

Here is a wheel width and recommendations chart for a start...

Toyo 4.JPG

This one is for a rim / tyre calculator

Toyo 5.JPG

This one shows the change in gearing with the changes I want to make.

Toyo 3.JPG

I am obviously missing something in what you are saying...:(

• Like 1