Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998-2002 Accord Coupe Plastic Sill Cover Removal

PTR200S

• Moderators

Have tried a search for sill covers on forum but no luck....

anyone any tips for taking them off, are the coupes prone to rust on the sills?

Are they secured similar to other Honda with nylon blocks and end cap securing screws?

if so, do they push forwards or backward off the lugs?

• Administrators

The early 98-99's seem to suffer but a low mileage coastal car isn't immune either, your car was first registered in Cymru, Bangor so should be ok. Anyway, the topic linked should help, if you ignore the wing bolts in the pictures, just a couple of screws and a few clips and give a tap from the rear to the front.;).

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 1998-2002 Accord Coupe Plastic Sill Cover Removal
  • 3 years later...

Hi Guys 

I remembered reading this post a couple of years ago. I have now found it again cos the old girl failed her ticket with a hole in the sill ! Not good news.....

So far I have removed all the fixings but the plastic cover won't budge. Just how hard dare I wack it ?

Other than this she sailed through as usual 😥

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Jon said:

So far I have removed all the fixings but the plastic cover won't budge. Just how hard dare I wack it ?

The hidden clips allow it to slid forward, removing the rear wheel give you better access to use a rubber mallet on the end or slide a bit of wood in there and hit or tap that? 👈🔨

11 minutes ago, Jon said:

I have now found it again cos the old girl failed her ticket with a hole in the sill ! Not good news.....

Sorry to hear this, hope the repairs go smoothly... 🤞

• Like 1

I had been reluctant to remove the rear wheel cos the jacking point is part of the rust problem. Ended up jacking off the subframe with a prewar acme screw jack which did an amazing job. Once the wheel was off it was easy with two blows of my small rubber hammer. All the clips intact. Now for some quotes, thanks again Jon

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

A good welder at a fabrication works can do a great job even with jacking points.  The secret is to cut out everything that is suspect then with a good welder those jacking points can be as good as new.  Then it's a matter of sorting the paneling out around the point, something that is second nature to the fabrication guys !!

All is not lost, just find the right place to do it, sometimes the local "garage" is not the place to do it but they might farm stuff out to a fabrication company, so ask around before you choose somewhere to do it, just my opinion by the way !!!!

• Like 2

Thanks, I agree entirely. I might have to do some carpet and wiring work too as the loom from the back is awful close !

I have pics if anyone is interested but my crappy tablet and your system don't get on. If you do please send an email to jonshep2001@gmail.com

Cheers for now

• Like 2

Final update on this subject. Paul a mobile welder performed in my driveway on Tuesday. Worked for about three hours £150. Sussex Windscreens performed on Wednesday. New Pilkington screen is not too bad at all. Pilkington even manufactured the trim ! 

I now have a new MOT

Ahh..... the joy of the open road !

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Jon said:

Final update on this subject. Paul a mobile welder performed in my driveway on Tuesday. Worked for about three hours £150. Sussex Windscreens performed on Wednesday. New Pilkington screen is not too bad at all. Pilkington even manufactured the trim ! 

I now have a new MOT

Ahh..... the joy of the open road !

Brilliant ! Excellent  news and not to much hurt on the wallet , win 😁

Pics please !!!

• Like 2