Subscriptions & Donations ×

Removing ABS sensor

davebrads

• Site Subscriber’s

I am halfway through taking my near side steering assembly apart in order to replace the lower ball joint. I am stuck at removing the ABS sensor, it doesn't want to budge. I gave up last night and sprayed it with plenty of WD40 in the hope that it will help. It's my wedding anniversary today so I'm not getting back to it until tomorrow night by which time I might be lucky and it's freed itself. Failing that has anyone any good tricks that could help me?

• Like 2

• Administrators

Happy Anniversary to you both and as per the text message I wouldn't try too hard remove it as it will very likely snap and I would suggest removing the wire retaining nut on the top suspension arm and the ones on the knuckle(10mm). Then unplug it from the engine bay and feed then it through the hole, the plastic grommet should push through into the top of the wheel arch. ;)

• Like 3

• Moderators

What Stu said ^^^^^ - ABS sensors are best left unmolested until they absolutely have to be renewed. Then use whatever methods necessary to remove the old, dead sensor - when i say whatever methods these can include (but aren't limited to) drilling, grinding, burning, chiselling and anything else that is necessary to remove them.

Once out, clean and polish (preferably to a mirror finish if possible) the hole where the sensor lives. Try and make the hole a little oversize to give it a bit of space but not too much. Fill this gap with a waterproof grease or Vaseline (ooo-errr Geoff!!!) by smearing the outside of the new sensor body thickly when installing. This prevents the corrosion starting in the bracket which is the usual cause of sensor failure.

If sensors are removed from their brackets/mounting holes while they are still working, there's a very high chance they won't be after as the stresses involved with removal can often cause failure. Might seem like Stu is suggesting a long-winded work-around but in the long run it's a lot quicker, cheaper and easier! ;):D

• Like 1