Subscriptions & Donations ×

Tow Bars 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

PaulS

• Founding Member

Just wondering about finding and fitting a tow bar (cycle carrier and occasional trailer use....).  I always have to use another car to take the bikes anywhere..... as I only have tow bar mounted bike racks....

Has anyone fitted one?  Indeed is one available for the coupes?

• Administrators

The genuine Honda ones are no longer available p/n: 08L92S82601 :huh: although member Rob has one fitted to his coupe ^_^ well the the framework is under his car still and he removed the hitch on it as he didn't like it, so he might be persuaded to remove it completely but cannot recall if its the detachable Honda one though :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

No joy unfortunately buddy, although i am still waiting for one more response from another chap I know has a tow bar fitted but doesn't use it ^_^ in regards to the roof rack there are a some bars/racks that will fit the coupe maybe worth popping down to your local car accessories shop ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi all been a while since I posted on here hope you're all well.

I have a question regarding towbars, now I bet you're thinking who in their right mind would ruin the back end of a coupe, well I'm not...... strictly speaking, you see I found out my coupe has a detachable towbar fitted, I'm assuming this was done from new. The other thing is my coupe has the body kit fitted here's where the problem lies there are 2 electric sockets one tucked away behind the bumper and the other comes down halfway down the rear apron so I can't plug anything into either as I can't get the covers open. I did take a picture but can't upload it for some reason.

If anyone has any experience with these towbars do the sockets swing down or can they be moved etc.

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

• Moderators

From what you're saying it sounds like you have a swan-neck towbar. When not needed, a bolt can be removed and the actual towball swung towards the front of the car and secured with the bolt through another hole in the frame. That's the theory anyway - many people leave them in the towing position so they're ready for use and also act as extra protection in the event of a rear end shunt. The completely detachable towbar is similar but only has one position it can be bolted on.

The big trouble with towbars of any description is there are so many variations, even for the same model! This means there could be any number of options but i'll make a wild guess that the body kit was fitted after the towbar by someone who didn't intend to tow with it.

Is there a problem with the electrics and you need access to the sockets to trace the fault or is there another reason you want to get them out? :huh:;):D

• Like 1

Hi Laird

Thanks for the reply, the tow ball is detachable as it's in the spare wheel well, in a leather wallet with some other bits and pieces I haven't checked what's in there to be honest.

I'm not sure the kit was fitted after as I bought the car off an oap who I think (will need to check) had it from new, couldn't imagine the couple I bought it off having a kit fitted afterwards, but saying that the way the electrical socket is it may be the case. 

No problems with the electrics it's just I'm picking up a trailer soon and as mine has the towbar would rather use my own car than borrow someone elses

• Like 2

• Moderators

Somewhere Stu has done a "How to" on something and it involves removing the rear bumper. If he comes along and reminds us (with a link please Stu!) how to get the rear bumper off the best way to find out without doing any damage would be to get the back bumper/skirt/valance off and look at the sockets.

If you find they're fixed, your best course of action may be a secondhand bumper that you can mutilate for access to the sockets/towbar and then keep the valance/skirt/bumper intact for refitting when you don't want to tow for a while.

Also bear in mind the guy you got it from may not have been an OAP when he bought it new, if he is day 65 now and bought the car new in 1998 (i don't know the age of your car so just guessing) he would only have been 47 - hardly an OAP at that age!!! ;):D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned
  • 3 years later...