Subscriptions & Donations ×

Check Your Radiator Clamp "LOWER CLAMP"

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi I may have the same problem but not sure I took Misty to have the tracking done and noticed whilst she was up in the air there was a small amount of anti freeze had leaked onto the protective plastic that covers the underside the mechanic said it was coming from the lower hose attached to the radiator so not sure what to do or how to confirm if it is the clamp or the radiator.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Vibesy said:

Hi I may have the same problem but not sure I took Misty to have the tracking done and noticed whilst she was up in the air there was a small amount of anti freeze had leaked onto the protective plastic that covers the underside the mechanic said it was coming from the lower hose attached to the radiator so not sure what to do or how to confirm if it is the clamp or the radiator.

Take off the lower panel so you can see what is going on.. it will be very obvious if the pipe clamp is going into meltdown..or the radiator ....can just about get to it to change the clamp for a new one .

If you can't see it properly  get your phone under there and take a picture then you can examine it at your leisure when you are upright !!!

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

What Pete said! To be honest, i'd suggest investing in a replacement clamp (don't mess about with used ones, they never work properly the second time around) and just fit it while you're under there. If the existing clamp isn't falling apart (doubtful) then check the rad stub for cracks around the join to the rad and the hose for perishing.

• Like 1

So ordered a couple of clamps for the hose from Honda they will be here tomorrow and hopefully it will be just the clamp and not the radiator when I check it out over the weekend worst case scenario I have looked up radiators and prices are quite reasonable it seems.

• Like 2

• Moderators

You will be crawling under more than once 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Actually it's easy to see if you just roll it up some ramps at the front and drop the under cover off, can almost do it it sitting on your bum !!!!!

Fingers crossed its just the clamp. 🤞

• Like 1

Had a look from the top just now and I can see water on the bottom cover there is not much to be honest and nothing on the floor so hoping it does point towards the clamp.

Going to pop some fresh pictures up of her shortly now I have had a chance to clean her up a touch. 

• Like 2

So purchased my car ramps today and the wheel chocks ( if that is how it is spelt lol ) also got a pair of hose clamps from Honda so all ready for tomorrow actually looking forward to it hopefully the Honda gods are looking over me and it is just a clamp 🙂

• Clap Hands 2

• Moderators

That is BAD  !!!!!!

Lucky you got a dribble to prewarn you...complete failure gets a lot of water out if the hose pops off 😱😱😱😱😱

As said , bloody cold !! You are a hero !! 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

• Clap Hands 1

Blimey that was a bloody mare lol but it is now done had her running for half an hour and no leak so hoping all is solved going to take her for a drive now to defrost myself as frozen to the bone but well chuffed I sorted it also replaced the top clamp whilst I was at it 🙂

20231202-135145.jpg20231202-135218.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

Good news on curing the coolant leak! :D

Most on here recommend Bilt Hamber, however i've just had this stuff recommended to me by a friend. As he said, what the long term protection will be like remains to be seen but he applied it with a plant sprayer or an empty cleaning bottle sprayer. I'm planning on using an electric sprayer but apparently it's thin stuff, like water in consistency so should get into all nooks and crannies and gets rid of surface rust leaving a primed surface.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175894969723

Reading some reviews on it, it doesn't seem that great but something that comes up on a general search (and would have been my "go to" as they've been around a long time and originally developed for use by the Royal Navy) is this :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09SM5F83T

No doubt available on ebay too! :P

*** EDIT ***

Just lookoed on ebay, they are on there but also a 500ml bottle that you can decant into a plant or electric sprayer :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175841650568

As we all know, aerosol pushes the price up for the same volume but is much easier to apply.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Great work Paul, regards rust prevention and rust inhibitors, most products prevent rust and spraying over existing rust without some preparation first can create more problems. Yet to find a single product that works in all areas, so I use a combination of different types of rust prevention. Since most good companies already have them in their product range you can stick to one brand at least. The thinner products work well in seams of panels, e.g. doors, inside sills etc rather than exterior areas, sometimes heating up a thinker (non-aerosol) product works just as well, if not better long term.

Additionally, try to avoid any rust prevention on the lower clamp as it will likely damage the hose(s) as it will be good for another twentie+ years 😋

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Vibesy said:

Brilliant thank you Stu I am a complete novice in this area and will definitely be doing something about it once I get a few dry days here 🙂

I would avoid doing anything until the warmer months, just concentrate on cleaning e.g. inner the wheel arches and where you can reach with a hose or jet wash under the car and it will help remove any loose underseal and rust too.. At least then you'll have a good starting point to start the protection in the more suitable weather and you won't trap moisture or salt...

• Like 2