Subscriptions & Donations ×

The Purple Peril

CharlesM

• Moderators

What you say about a team of highly skilled Honda engineers with a mahoosive budget is something i've tried to point out to people for years, especially with tuned length induction systems such as the J30 VTEC and also the variable length induction system on the C27 is absolutely spot on Charles. Yes, everything is a compromise between performance, economy and noise but sometimes, especially with variable length and variable valve timing (effectively altering the tuned length as well) the compromise is as near perfect as you're going to get.

Tweaking Accord V6s (coupés, saloons - sorry, sedans etc) is still pretty big business alongwith tweaking Legends of all generations, Civics etc in the USA thanks in part to the films about the Fast and the Furious. That means there's going to be a market for things like this for some time to come, as long as you don't mind it saying "Howdy, y'all!" when you open the bonnet and taking a week or 3 to arrive in the first place.

So there you have it Geoff - dust off your bottom dollar and get yourself one ordered if you want that noise! If you don't have a bottom dollar, talk nicely to one of your bank colleagues and get them to change some currency for you! ;):D

• Founding Member

Charles, I'm liking the sound and looks of the new bit of kit! It sounds like the sound it produces is spot on. I'm looking forward to hearing about the fuel consumption  and then I might take the plunge. I've been keeping an eye on the seller you bought it from and once you give us your thoughts on the fuel consumption then I'll make a decision. The thought of adding to my fuel consumption concerns is worrying. 

• Like 2

Ahsy, I am due a fill up soon (I had to put in some normal fuel the other day so I want to work that out of the system first) and then I'll keep an eye on economy.  I'm sure the first period of use will be 'under the influence' of the sound so will no doubt be more rev happy than long term!  You are welcome to come and have a look and listen.

• Like 2

One thing that won't show in the average MPG is me going up to a supermarket 25 miles away for a proper run with lots of acceleration opportunities!  The sound today is just fantastic.  I had to overtake a slow moving Transit (I know, rarer than unicorns) and so I drove it like a manual, kept it in second using the shifter until I was up in the red zone.  Lovely lovely sound.  Stuck on the decal too, but found a bulge in my almost new front tyre I'd only just bought.  Pretty boring to have to sort so soon.

induction3.jpg

• Like 1

• Founding Member
4 hours ago, CharlesM said:

One thing that won't show in the average MPG is me going up to a supermarket 25 miles away for a proper run with lots of acceleration opportunities!  The sound today is just fantastic.  I had to overtake a slow moving Transit (I know, rarer than unicorns) and so I drove it like a manual, kept it in second using the shifter until I was up in the red zone.  Lovely lovely sound.  Stuck on the decal too, but found a bulge in my almost new front tyre I'd only just bought.  Pretty boring to have to sort so soon.

induction3.jpg

I can't tell you what you're doing to me Charles!!!! I want one and am just refraining from temptation just a tad bit longer. 

Where abouts are you again? 

I used to used my gears manually quite often in my previous Coupe but am trying to be a grown up in this one BUT the pleasure I get redlining this car is immense!  God  knows what it'll do to me when/if I get the induction kit??!!!! 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I've got a confession to make......just did a panic purchase......last one left.....guess who just bought a dual chamber induction thingy majig???!!!!! 

I hope I don't regret it.....oh well I'm sure a Honda 6 member would buy it off me if I don't use it:blush:

where do you live again Charles? :)

• Like 2

The cone is well covered by all the plastic of the wheel arch liner, plastic under-cladding etc.  The instructions do say don't fit it if you intend to go into deep water, but it doesn't look problematic for normal driving.   Can't see any harm in a cover though.

Spent most of the day at the classic car restorers, working on my W114 coupe which is coming on in leaps and bounds.  The guys at the bodyshop who did the paint loved the coupe and particularly the colour, while Billy, the now fully qualified ex-apprentice (Simeon there trains all his guys from scratch) thought the induction kit hilarious (I think the thought of me doing it, both mechanically and intentionally) and was in fits at the sound when we went for a run.  The car was much appreciated as both sensible and bonkers!

All in.jpg

• Like 1

Approving!  He found the sound delicious, but also the thought of this slightly old school 50 year old (me) running around in this complete Q car with kit he more normally associates with the yout blinging up their Civics...

• Like 1

• Founding Member
1 hour ago, CharlesM said:

Approving!  He found the sound delicious, but also the thought of this slightly old school 50 year old (me) running around in this complete Q car with kit he more normally associates with the yout blinging up their Civics...

I'm sooooo conscious about being a branded as "middle aged boy racer wannabe"! Need to be careful as to how far I go BUT who gives a ****.....I is what I is and feel what I feel. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AhsyV6 said:

I'm sooooo conscious about being a branded as "middle aged boy racer wannabe"! Need to be careful as to how far I go BUT who gives a ****.....I is what I is and feel what I feel. 

I get a certain frisson of pleasure from offending (on a very infrequent basis) against the notions of taste people think I should have.  Just because I like Wagner and handmade shoes does not mean I don't like the sound of a car at full chat.  The older I get the more absurd I find the constrictions of 'good taste'.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Mercs coming on nicely Charles - just about ready for a cone filter on the end of that throttle body! ;):D

The thought had occurred, B) but it would make fitting the intake air temperature sensor and idle air control valve an utter nightmare.  I also like the idea of fitting up to the minute fuel injection and mappable ECU but hiding it totally under the guise of originality.  I do like winding up the authenticity police.

• Like 2

• Founding Member
On 4 April 2016 at 6:12 PM, AhsyV6 said:

I've got a confession to make......just did a panic purchase......last one left.....guess who just bought a dual chamber induction thingy majig???!!!!! 

I hope I don't regret it.....oh well I'm sure a Honda 6 member would buy it off me if I don't use it:blush:

where do you live again Charles? :)

It arrived on Wednesday. Still apprehensive about installing it. 

Don't suppose you would post a ickle video clip of your new addition whilst being revved?I fancy a listen:blink:

• Like 2

• Founding Member
On 3 April 2016 at 5:15 PM, CharlesM said:

We like Purple Haze - looking great!

Had a busy weekend, decided as the weather was good to fit the induction kit.  The instructions sort of helped sort of missed half the things you needed to do, but careful observation got me there.  I didn't have much chance to take photos as I was filthy, and I did have a massive sense of humour failure about getting the resonator out - "remove the two bolts" - and the front bumper!

A lot of trim studs are missing so I'm going to have to do something to replace.  For the time being a couple of cable ties are having to suffice.

The result - it does make a lovely sound in the higher rev ranges, so much so I fear my fuel consumption will suffer, but at normal revs, nothing intrudes.  Very Jekyll and Hyde and as far as I can tell, no perceptible improvement in performance except as a result of holding gears for longer.  

A sneak peak at the throttle body shows it's not bad for 111,000 miles.

TB1.jpg

The air filter cone (where the resonator used to be)

induction2.jpg

The pipe work (must stick on label!)

induction1.jpg

Charles, I've had a good check of all the parts that were sent and was surprised at how big the cone filter is so I then checked online to ensure I got the right part number. It's the right one as I crossed referenced it with the AEM site. However looking at your cone filter it's grey and mine is red and wanted to ask if your part number is AEM 21-204DK DryFlow Air Filter?