Subscriptions & Donations ×

The Purple Peril

CharlesM

No sadder than me moaning on the interwebby!  I know all the drivers as I've had so many deliveries of car parts this year.  The Parcelforce guys regularly asked about the restoration and my postie Jan loves chatting about her VW splitscreen camper van.  Jatinder my DPD driver is a really nice guy and goes to great lengths to find neighbours etc.  But not UKMail...

• Moderators

It's like a technicolour game of "Snake" until he finally gets to your pad with your delivery! :):D

As for Yodel aka UK MAil, they can sometimes be very good or very bad - no middle ground! However, i think their computer system generates fake attempted deliveries. Something that i had delivered recently by them showed up firstly as not in the system, then delayed then an attempted delivery hours after it was meant to have been collected from somewhere too far away to have got here in that time.

When it did arrive, i unwrapped it then grabbed my phone and took photos of the damage. :angry:

• Like 1

Another day another damned thing.  My plan to take advantage of the sunshine today to get the majority of the car machine polished has just hit a snag.  The blasted DA polisher has died, somewhat prematurely.  

Oh well, I might just go for a drive instead.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, CharlesM said:

Another day another damned thing.  My plan to take advantage of the sunshine today to get the majority of the car machine polished has just hit a snag.  The blasted DA polisher has died, somewhat prematurely.  

You never know - you might pick up a new DA polisher for pennies in one of the Easter Sales! But you've got to drive there - what a chore! :lol::D

I have yes, both fuse and socket.  I think the smell of electrics burning out and the wildly gyrating speed was the clue.

Anyway, I have to replace it, I can't leave this lovely car in this condition!

Just gave my neighbour a lift home - he thought it was wonderful (he particularly loved the smell of the leather!)

• Founding Member
On 24/03/2016 at 3:53 PM, hughezee said:

The Valvoline fluid is the best fluid I've ever used and I've used lots over the years including Honda's fluid(s) and just to set the record straight the 2-litre suffers just as many failures if neglected ;)

The Valvoline MaxLife is the best, my car aka Purple Pimple swears by it.  ;)

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Sweet.  Good stuff Charles, you appear to have contracted the Accord Coupe Love Bug and there's no known cure!

Unless your gearbox craps out, not likely with our mechanically sympathetic servicing though ;)

• Like 3

I shall repeat it again, as it's worth saying again, I've never come across such a great resource as this forum for individual models.  I'm very glad to have joined as it fills me with confidence that I can keep the car maintained well and economically.  That neighbours are complimenting me on the car is a big bonus!

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Great to have you Charles, I was chatting to Stu earlier and do you know that our membership accounts for around a quarter of the coupes left on the road!  There's less than 400 2.0ES and V6's taxed/sorned on the road, we have 116 members and yes, not all of them are active but that's a healthy percentage.  ;)

I think I mentioned before when I took mine into the local tyre place for a new tyre, the 16 year old lad had never seen one before and was genuinely excited seeing mine...."cor...how bigs the engine?"  etc etc.  I then told him it was made in the USA....."No way"....so I flipped the bonnet and showed him the 'Honda America" plate at front.  "Is that a VTEC"....desite it saying 3.0 VTEC on the front!  Think he almost wet himself with excitment.....that's the joy of our coupes, the admiring glances in the Shell garage, the comfort, the power, Honda reliability and build quality.  It's win-win!

• Like 3

• Founding Member

I totally agree Charles.....belonging to this forum does instill me with confidence to keep my coupe forever as there is always a solution to an issue. With that said its the individual members that makes it. 

To own a car that's becoming rarer by the day enhances the pleasure of owning it!

Of course having your pride and joy complimented is a nice little ego boost too.

i was just talking to my cousin and he was just telling how mad I was for spending more on the car than its actual worth. I had to put him straight and corrected him as I haven't. He asked would I spend £1,500 on a recon gearbox and I told him that I would consider it. He said that I was stupid as I should just sell it and then buy a new car. We worked out the maths and I would have about £2,000 to £2,500 to then play with to buy another car......there is nothing out there that I can think of that would give me any where near the same level of pleasure owning and driving for that price!

• Like 1

• Founding Member
12 hours ago, CharlesM said:

What machine do you use Charles?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Don't forget Ahsy, at that kind of money you're on the borderline of "posh banger" territory - in other words the car you're likely to buy is still going to be high ish mileage and potentially have other problems lurking, just waiting to drain your wallet. At least this way, once you've done the spending you know you've got a car good for another 100k miles as long as it's serviced etc and looked after - you can't say that with any certainty about a car you'd buy. Let's face it, most people only sell cars of that age because there's a big bill coming up!

Think we need to educate your cousin! ;):lol:

• Like 2

• Founding Member
12 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Don't forget Ahsy, at that kind of money you're on the borderline of "posh banger" territory - in other words the car you're likely to buy is still going to be high ish mileage and potentially have other problems lurking, just waiting to drain your wallet. At least this way, once you've done the spending you know you've got a car good for another 100k miles as long as it's serviced etc and looked after - you can't say that with any certainty about a car you'd buy. Let's face it, most people only sell cars of that age because there's a big bill coming up!

Think we need to educate your cousin! ;):lol:

Exactly what I told him but sadly he's belongs to the misinformed "the newer the more reliable" brigade. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

What machine do you use Charles?

It's a DAS6 Pro - certainly the best amateur one out there.  I suspect that my technique has been part of the problem, I press too hard.  It's not hugely expensive but just at present I'd rather have the old one working, I'm not sure a new one will get the use as I cut back on the cars I have and my Mercedes work is coming to an end.

• Like 1

I find the assumption that you should not spend more than the car is worth pointless - buying any secondhand car involves risk and a £2500 car can have many issues.  If you know your car well, know its maintenance history and compare it with what you can get, why not spend the £1500.  I've budgeted £1000 to sort out any issue on buying mine - I want it to ride and drive properly and be a nice place in which to spend time.  I've seen enough £2500 BMWs, Benzes etc etc to know that you are buying a whole world of pain.  The engineering of the Honda is clearly fantastic, build quality is spot on (It may lack real fake wood but the dash doesn't creak and crack) and it would happily run me to one end of Europe and back.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CharlesM said:

It's a DAS6 Pro - certainly the best amateur one out there.  I suspect that my technique has been part of the problem, I press too hard.  It's not hugely expensive but just at present I'd rather have the old one working, I'm not sure a new one will get the use as I cut back on the cars I have and my Mercedes work is coming to an end.

What about this as a compromise instead of replacing it with a new one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAS-6-PRO-Variable-Speed-Dual-Action-Polisher-/231888626177?hash=item35fda3a201:g:wdkAAOSwI3RW87wj

Could work out quite well!

• Like 1