Subscriptions & Donations ×

The Purple Peril

CharlesM

A tankful of Tesco Momentum 99 octane and lots of fast and mixed driving later, and I averaged exactly 30mpg.  Car running beautifully and given how many times I hoon it to wallow in that NSX like induction sound, it is gratifyingly frugal.  I temporarily solved the rattling induction kit with that essential of every budding mechanic, a cable tie...

• Like 2

• Administrators

Great to hear your out about in the coupe Charles :D Although risking a debate on fuels :mellow: I have to say Tesco Momentum 99 octane wouldn't be my choice the higher ethanol content puts me off, also last car I put that stuff in sat for 4 months in car the fuel went bad and had a right game sorting it out :angry: never had a problem with Shell or BP fuels.. ;)

• Like 1

I happened to be by a Tesco with a close to empty tank.  Harmony has been restored with a full load of Shell V Power last night.  It is my preferred choice but I'd rather have Momentum than 95 Octane E10 fuel, if push comes to shove!

The car is booked in for a small amount of bodywork.  I amused the young lads at the bodyshop (who already find it hilarious that this 50 year old classic car lover has installed an induction kit) by suggesting I might consider slamming the car and fitting a bodykit if I could find one reasonably...

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 hours ago, CharlesM said:

I happened to be by a Tesco with a close to empty tank.  Harmony has been restored with a full load of Shell V Power last night.  It is my preferred choice but I'd rather have Momentum than 95 Octane E10 fuel, if push comes to shove!

The car is booked in for a small amount of bodywork.  I amused the young lads at the bodyshop (who already find it hilarious that this 50 year old classic car lover has installed an induction kit) by suggesting I might consider slamming the car and fitting a bodykit if I could find one reasonably...

Sounds reasonable enough to me :wacko: its rare I get caught short,but if I did I will usually top up a little with what's nearest until I can get the special stuff back in :lol:

• Like 2

• Moderators

Thanks for the reminder Charles!

http://vid567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/scoobyh123/2012-04-02_14-38-56_934.mp4

(Click to play)

That's the prototype from a few years back - not done anymore as yet. The original plan was to fit it to the alarm so when the alarm was armed every so often it would do a few scans at random, or apparently random. ;):D

I decided the Peril could do with a bit of love.  The rear wheelarches were a bit bashed about inside and the rear nearside wing had been very badly filled and painted, my flatting skills being no match.  So after delivering numerous bits and pieces, including a Mercedes wing to the restorers, I had the bodyshop who did the Mercedes work do a block down and respray of the wing, plus a flattening out and touch up of the rear wheelarches.  The initial blocking revealed a lot of filler and primer from previous work, but we got a much better surface to work on.  A nice mop and polish completed the work, and I must say for something cheap and cheerful, the car is now looking very much happier.  Dan, one of the partners, was encouraged to have a drive in it by me and he really loved the comfort, seats and the howl when opened up.  All in all, a success all round!

hondafinish4.jpg

hondafinish3.jpg

hondafinish2.jpg

hondablock.jpg

• Like 2

Not many pics, but a hint of what has been achieved today.  My method is always to deal with the stuff easily seen, so if I get bored or too lazy to finish the car it looks better than it should when I pack it in!

The rear wing paint is obviously much richer and darker than the door by it with the fading of paint and scratches.  By machine polishing I aimed to reduce the obvious contrast to the point where you need to look twice to notice the difference. Almost there.

Bootlid was just rotten, second photo doesn't do justice to how it now looks as the camera was having difficulty focussing on what is now a mirror finish.

Front of car and bonnet now looking really very much like a much newer car.

honda door wing paint.jpg

honda door wing paint2.jpg

bootlid (1).jpg

bootlid2 (1).jpg

front.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

Know what you mean about silver cars Charles - at least i can see the difference on mine. Think the last silver car i had was my Mk1 Sterling about 15 years ago and that was lucky if it was shown the car wash once a month!

As for finishing the car, it pretty much is except for bits i've missed because the sun has moved a fraction and what was shaded is now in full glare and vice versa. Oh yeah, i've not waxed it yet as my paws are both still playing up.

• Founding Member

The correction on the boot lid looks like it came out perfect.....as if you swapped it for a new one! 

Like the results Charles! 

Off to do prepare my sis in laws BMW 318 MSport now as she wants to sell it. Will do a write up on it.

• Like 4

Not quite perfect Ahsy, but sooo much better.  There are still scratches and some holograms from the machining, but the improvement is almost total.  It's lovely to get such good results so painlessly. I finished off the job this morning on a much easier day.  With all the machining done yesterday I could listen to the cricket on my radio and just apply all the treatments.  I'm very happy - the dents need sorting, but it looks sharp and together now.

I used Menzerna cutting pad and Fast Gloss 400, followed by Auto Finesse Ultra Glaze and Gtechniq Liquid Crystal C2 sealant.

hondamirror.jpg

hondabonnet.jpg

hondaboot2.jpg

hondaboot.jpg

• Like 1