Subscriptions & Donations ×

Looking to buy a Accord Coupe

Graymalkin

• Administrators

Welcome again Richard ;) If you have a browse you will find most common complaints relate to age like most cars, but being Honda they are still rare.

Anyway if you have a 2.0 coupe on your wish list, (great choice by the way) I would say having full service history goes without saying, but I wouldn’t shy away from a higher mileage one which would likely have had a few major jobs done already.

Few things to look for or consider

The timing belt is due approx’ every 70,000 miles or 7 years whichever comes first really and the water pump tensioners are due around 100,000 miles.

Sometimes the back-lights on the interior gauges can fail due to incorrect installation of an after market radio and can be an expensive fix £200+

Air conditioning system dependant on the year the compressors are known to fail due to leaks, so look for lubrication oil leaks around the dryer even if the system works well (ice cold)  

After a test drive check the n.s rear calliper for excessive heat (binding) as one is a common failure, although re-manufactured units are available though.  

Rear wheel bearings if one of the rears very noisy around corners (rubbing sound) it can be an expensive to replace as well?

Dark coloured cars can suffer with lacquer peeling even cracks in the seam sealant on the boot gutters causing water ingress in the boot, light coloured cars don’t seem to suffer these issues.

As suggested these are just a few things to consider before parting with your money and if you’re thinking of an automatic or manual version the transmission fluid should be replaced every 24,000 although the manual is not a critical if it’s a low miler. Nevertheless I’m sure I’ve forgotten one or two things which other members will point out, but just use your eyes & ears...

Hope this helps m8y

• Like 1

Thank You very much. I am used to electrical faults, I drive a French/Italian car :) But the good thing is they tend to fix them selves (have you turned it off and on again) In all these years I have never owned a Japanese car. The closest I came was a Triumph Acclaim, but i was unlucky enough to have one with a Triumph engine. But its saving grace was that it had a Honda gearbox.

• Administrators

You shouldn't really get any annoying electrical faults like that with a Honda apart from the hot start fault which is were it refuses to start during hot conditions, easily fixed with a new relay or resolder some dry joints. So its pretty much black an white and if there is a real issue a light will come on and stay on until fixed :lol:

In regards to the Triumph engine in an acclaim I thought all of them had the EN4 Honda engine and Honda gearbox, only thing different from the same year civic was the twin carb set-up on the triumph and the blank rocker cover?

Maybe my Acclaim was a duffer. The Acclaim was based on the Ballade but I bow to your knowledge it was a very long time ago and an episode i try to forget lol It was beige! I only owned it for 9 months and I kid you not it was in the garage for 6 months, literally weeks at a time. It leaked oil like a sieve.

Anyway... off to see this on Saturday...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201509076707283?model=accord&page=1&search-target=usedcars&radius=1500&body-type=coupe&sort=default&onesearchad=used&make=honda&postcode=ox263wg&price-to=2500&logcode=p

It is one hell of a trek. But hope to kill 2 birds or even 3 birds on the way back seeing a 2.0 ES Silver in Tingley Yorks, then a 3.0 V6 in Newark. But I may run out of time to see all 3. Its a 4 n half hour trip to Newcastle. Probably set out at 5.30 ish :(

• Like 1

• Administrators

Sounds like a long day and I'm sure the right car for you is out there ;)

Just one thing to note if your thinking of a V6 coupe, the transmission in these do suffer and any hard or erratic shifts could spell bad news and if you hear a audible clunk through any gear I wouldn't hesitate to walk away. The problem is the gearboxes on this accord and offered much smoother gear changes than previous models and around 2% of cars where effected by premature wear an tear (slipping is smooth) resulting in three revisions during the 1998-2003 production period.

Now the protection of the AT fluids in these transmissions has long since expired and premature failures are inevitable if left alone and the 2.0es is not immune either, same as any other auto' transmission. So if you do drive both e.g 1998 or 2001 you will notice performances differences between the 1998-2000-2001/02 e.g kick down in a 1998 mk1 transmission is exhilarating and will throw you in your seat where as the 2001 mk3 transmission will drop down faster and just pull like a train without jolting you in the seat,

So don't let this difference the V6 transmissions be the decision maker :huh: 

Anyway I wish you well with your quest for coupe :D

• Administrators

I was going to ask about ATF changes when i get up there. The one in Newcastle has been yearly serviced at a honda dealer apparently so i would have thought it would have been well looked after.

How much is it to change the fluid?

oh and thank you very much for the above tips.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the newer Honda fluid DW1 if the transmission shifts as it should, it effects lock-up part of the toque converter and can lead to excessive heat. However if it feels a like it needs a freshen up then I would recommend it using DW1 until the gearbox feels better, other than that I've been using a valvoline fluid which is widely used in the USA and so far it's the best ATF I've ever used.

In regards to cost I offer this service to members from £25- £80 depending on the condition of the fluid an operation of the gearbox. Maybe worth checking this post: http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/72-accord-coupe-automatic-gearbox-failures-change-your-atf/

That sounds very reasonable. Ive read the thread and learned something today.

Been in touch with the owner of the car and the transmission fluid is pink. Checked by Honda 6 months ago and they said all fine. Check sheet supplied.

MOT'd til AUG 16 No advisories.

Water pump wasn't changed with cambelt but was checked by Honda and they said all ok. Check sheet supplied.

Cambelt changed July 15 & serviced at Honda dealer at the same time.

Strangely the number plate S552CBR is not a private plate but to me it looks like it could be with the CBR being a Honda brand.

The attractive thing about this car is that I wont need to spend any extra cash on it. Other than tax/ins.

Gotta leave home at 5.30 am tomorrow - hopefully have some news in 24 hrs or so.

I just wish it wasn't blue .... lol

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Congratulations GM it does look a great car.

The only thing to add to Stu's posts is that you need a decent battery, they can cause starting issues when they are getting old, Coxs Honda seem to do the cheapest V6 batteries.

You will enjoy the drive back from Newcastle on Thursday!

• Like 2

Going to pick up the car today.

I'm actually looking forward to the 5 hour drive home lol

My wife hasn't seen the pictures yet. My daughter has and in her words "It looks very Fast n Furious ... but not in a good way"

We will see what she says when she needs a lift in it....

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Looking to buy a Accord Coupe