Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe V6 Tensioner Pulley Failing "WHINING NOISE"

hughezee

• Administrators

After well over a 150 miles since Retro Rich collected his V6 and MPG back up, the power and torque is back and brake Judder all gone  :D Now he could be facing yet another bill for a tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt, suppose I should I considered this when doing the timing belt and water pump ect :mellow:

• Founding Member

It's driving a dream buddy Hughezee! Overall, you have done a fabulous job on all of the tasks undertaken on the car. It's smooth, powerful and a super fun ride.

I don't think the pulley bearing is any louder, but I will pop over perhaps tomorrow and let you be the judge of that :-)

• Like 1

• Administrators

Just a quick follow up on the pulley/ belt tensioner noise quick grease has solved it  :D  nevertheless I managed to source an O.E Gates belt tensioner p/n: 38169 at fraction of the cost of same repackaged Honda unit p/n: 31170P8CA01 or just the Idler p/n: 31180P8CA01 or 31180P8FA03

Also stumbled across this video on how to replace belt tensioner assembly, enjoy ;)

• Like 1

• Administrators

Good stuff.  There's a lot of stuff you can access then when the wheel's come off.  Interesting.

Yeah if you don't count the rear row of spark plugs the V6 J series it’s the best engine bay I’ve ever worked on, designed with service and repairs in mind  :)  you would be shocked how many manufactures differ and have such poor designs. Example some of the newer Audi’s need the entire A.C system removing just to get at the timing belt :rolleyes: or the utter joke the bumper trim needs to moved forward on S3 and Seat Cupra (TFSI engines) just to get the oil filter element out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: germ's/span's engineered :ph34r:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a noticed over the past couple of days a whining noise on start up on my V6 and soon goes away when the engine is warm. The auxiliary belt looks worn and me thinks it could need replacing. I have seen a link on just the tensioner replacement but not on how to release the tension and replace the belt.

I guess I should have had the belt replace 15,000 miles ago when I had the cambelt done. Is it easy to replace? I have done lots before on other cars but not on the V6. :D

• The title was changed to 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe 3.0 Aux Belt Whining Noise
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned