Subscriptions & Donations ×

Groundhog Day!

Laird_Scooby

• Moderators

It doesn't seem that long ago i was introducing myself on the old forum. For those of you who don't know me, my name is Dave and i have a pair of Legends in disguise, otherwise known as Rover 827s - one is a 1993 MY/1994/"L" reg (now ultra rare) 827 Sterling auto saloon

Photo0759-1.jpg

and the other is a 1994 MY/1995/"N" reg 827 coupe :

photobucket-8583-1376226380882.jpg

Both cars have modifications, most of which are hidden although the 4-tailpipe duplex exhaust on the Sterling can be heard as well as seen and the stainless cat-back system on the coupe has two H-U-G-E tailpipes (not measured but they look like 3") will be a lot louder when the cat is replaced with a de-cat pipe. Other mods that are more subtle are the twin rear tail lights - most 800s have just the inner square lit when the lights are on and the outer square is reserved for the brake light. As you can see from my signature, i've converted them so both squares on each lamp are lit with the lights and the brake light just makes the outer square brighter. Also converted the lamp units themselves to the post-'96 spec clear smoked rear lights instead of the orange indicator versions with clear side repeaters.

My coupe is an ongoing project and a project thread that kind of started mid-way through the work can be found here : http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/42-what-a-palaver/

It spent most of its life before me living near the coast so has suffered the "sea breeze effect" but i'm getting there slowly! The saloon seems to have lived in better climes as although older it doesn't seem to have suffered as badly.

I'm still on the lookout for either a 5th gen Accord coupe or Aerodeck, preferably one in need of a bit of work and maybe a replacement engine as i have a spare C27A engine, autobox and loom etc. or maybe something really interesting like a clone of Purple Haze...................

• Like 1

• Moderators

That was my original thought about 10 years ago before i had either Rover although i did have the 2.2iES auto coupe and discovered the USA got the V6 as an option. The second thought was Rover 620 (had one at the same time as the Accord coupe) and since then i've not had either - or a spare C27 come to that!

Thanks for the welcome again too!

• Moderators

I had several SD1s when i was a pup, four of them V8s. Started off with a 2.6 auto that died the night i bought it (camshaft seizure - if i'd known then what i know now it would have been back on the road a few days later) then a few months later got my first V8. The bodyshell disintegrated (tinworm) so when the MoT ran out i bought a rolling shell (originally a 2600S auto) and transferred everything i needed to make it into a V8. Ran that for some time then had problems so swapped it for a 2600 manual that had started life as a 2300 manual. As such it went like stink but drank like Oliver Reed. That made way for something more economical then once again i managed to get another 3500, which i kept until the camshaft went. I fitted a new camshaft which i didn't know was defective until 4 minutes into the "running in" procedure when that changed from a one piece camshaft to a 4 piece, only 3 of which i was able to recover! When it went it chewed big lumps out of the block, rendering the engine scrap.

So i saved up and bought the last 3500 SE that i owned which i had quite a while - 2 years and 2 automatic gearboxes when it stranded me needing a third box so i ended up with a Chevette for a while.

Never had an SD1 Vitesse, always fancied one and driven a few. Not sure if the SD1 was "officially" styled on the Ferrari but the similarity is obvious to the point a kit car was made using an SD1 as the donor to create a Ferrari look-a-like.

Over the years i've owned a lot of cars, over 200 at the last count. These days i always come back to Rovers, Hondas or Honda-derived Rovers.