Subscriptions & Donations ×

Hello all from Moscow

Roverussia

Thanks for all!!  :)

He is not old.

This car is one of the few oficial Rover supply in Russia. First owner is Sukhoi Company. Not commercial use, only personal use Major General Vladimir Sergeyevich Ilyushin main test pilot of Sukhoi.

Full servis history. No damaged in car accidents. Only falling tree on the roof in 2008, next years car was stored in the garage.

Next owner bought him cheaply in 2013 with damaged roof, repaired it and tried to give him some servis in Honda (in Russia we have no MG-Rover servis today), and when this man learned about the prices on works and parts he sold a car immediately.

Next owner replace belts and brake pads and liquids at all. So Sterling got a new life. The reason for the sale was the hard way to a country house in the winter. Rover Sterling - is not a Land Rover as we know.

Today he is mine. 80.000 on dash and it seems to be true. Only left bottom ball joint was need replaced but i replace all.

I replaced the the timing, oil seals, water pump, alternator, water radiator and half of exhaust system.

Not work sunroof only, sometimes ABS fault lamp is blinking.

I added LPG system, расход топлива is 13/100km. in mixed cycle if drive carefully.

In fact is a car for my wife how first car in driver`s career. I prefer public transportation, I do not have the patience to wait in Moscow traffic jams. :D

• Moderators

Nice you know the history of the car. The bottom ball joints are a weak point on them and need checking regularly. The sunroof could be damaged thanks to the tree and disconnected as a result?

As for the ABS, the front sensors have a habit of not living very long so i suspect that is your problem. When i get some time, i'll try to upload the test procedure to show the fault codes for the ABS so you can work out the problem.

• Like 1

upd:

Foto0135jp_2144136_15926232.jpg

Foto0136jp_3627738_15926238.jpg

Foto0138jp_3868392_15926243.jpg

Foto0139jp_8703296_15926251.jpg

Foto0140jp_5340404_15926258.jpg

Foto0152jp_8701257_15926263.jpg

"Why engine is overheating?"  :D (Burned fan connector.)

Foto0208jp_8898016_15926620.jpg

New expansion tank. Russian commercial truck Gazelle donate me it. 

Foto0188jp_6237173_15926695.jpg

Rebuilding exhaust system. New pipes from Gazelle and ZiL. (Look at twenty years pipes - is not bad condition!)

Foto0251jp_1410565_15926800.jpg

As for the ABS, the front sensors have a habit of not living very long so i suspect that is your problem. When i get some time, i'll try to upload the test procedure to show the fault codes for the ABS so you can work out the problem.

Thanks! 

I think a tree broke a drive cable. Motor is alive, i listen noise but sunroof is closed. When summer comes, I want to paint the roof and repare sunroof too. 

• Moderators

A man after my own heart! I also have an alternative expansion tank (from a Volvo 850) and an alternative exhaust system on my Sterling. The front silencer is from a Ferguson tractor and the rear boxes are polycarbonate casings with stainless steel internals - one box each side with twin tailpipes on each box so 4 tailpipes in total. The pipework in between is home made.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Another what a palaver series in progress  :) please keep your posts & pic's coming my friend, the car will be a fine example once you’re finished :D

I'm not trying to patranise you, but if you don't mind please post future instalments in the rover 800 section: http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/forum/47-legend-or-rover-800/  or the member projects: http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/forum/62-car-projects/ ;) Also any individual topics please post in the relevant sections e.g in the Maintenance & Repairs  just so its easier to find your valuable input on the site.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

rear boxes are polycarbonate casings with stainless steel internals - one box each side with twin tailpipes on each box so 4 tailpipes in total. The pipework in between is home made.

Separate tailpipes is look good but i`d like a hidden power. It is better to be hidden in Russia, it good for taxes and insurance. 136 Bhp in car documents save money.  :D 

• Founding Member

These pics bring back memories, I used to have the Sterling and I remember all the buttons etc.  I do remember it was quite fast, especially in 'Sport' mode on the auto box.  Nice car, well worth looking after too, far superior too to the Ladas etc.

• Like 1