Subscriptions & Donations ×

Instruments not working,Speedo,rev counter fuel and temp

Waddy

• Site Subscriber’s

Started the coupe this morning after a month lay-up and setting off noticed gauges were stuck on zero ,no mileage gauge either.

they briefly kicked in a few miles later only to freeze up again,lights all ok including indicators. Ending up sticking on zero again by end of trip.I think I will need to get another instrument cluster but I’m wondering if the forum has any ideas !?Car is a V6 .Thanks guys.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• Moderators

Could be a damp problem,  a month of sitting around and with the sort of weather we have had...

Now you have driven it again things may start intermittently as they "dry" out.....especially as I presume it was OK before you stopped driving it ????

My Coupe , after sitting a while,  has some intermittent dash readings more so with the heater display but a few drives about over a couple of days and it's happy again.. low battery charge also plays havoc with dash displays.

Have a look here at some of my stuff plus comments re damp etc...

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

Thanks for the reply, The battery was low and only just managed to turn engine over so will give it a good run out tomorrow.The car was fine last time out so hopefully will sort itself ,weather was freezing which doesn’t help!

• Like 2

• Moderators

I would suggest you disconnect the battery and charge it off a proper battery charger to get it back up to strength. 

Running around a few miles isn't enough...it takes around 10 miles to recharge a battery after just one cold start . From a flat battery scenario you need a proper charge.

The other thing would be to get a drop test done on the battery just to see if there is any loss of capacity as it has been down to next to nothing based on your slow start comment. 

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

Yep,charged up the battery and after thawing it out this morning took it for a long run in the sunshine .

Twenty minutes later fuel and temp gauge came to life!! Shortly after the rev counter and Speedo too so at the moment all seems to be well.I have to deliver some Austin 1800 parts to the Landcrab Owners Club parts man on Tuesday to Blackpool so will give it another runout then . Replacing the cluster is a last resort as I dont want to loose the mileage .Thanks for input Cheers Dave

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1