Subscriptions & Donations ×

Elysion V6 suspension change.

PTR200S

• Moderators

I thought I ought to create another thread with the suspension change on my Elysion as another thread started with the lower wishbone bush changes and the suspension change got tacked on that ! 

Perhaps Stu can get his cutters out and put the front suspension but in here too but for now here is the rear suspension change over. 

The Elysion suspension sion is no longer available from the factory but occasionally units crop up, Cox motorparts have the rear ones but no front ones.  The go to suspension replacement is these Tein units...with very little choice of getting original units I had to settle for these.

The procedure is fairly straightforward at the rear compared with the front in that there is easy access to all the bolts.

There are just two 17mm bolts on the lower wishbone,  one through the shock absorber eye and the other attaching the end of the wishbone to the lower hub.  Then, of course, the nut on top of the shock inside the van.

The old bilstein looking worse for age more than wear.

20230609-152340.jpg

20230609-152313.jpg

Here are the two 17mm bolts, the inboard one holds the end of the shock inside the wishbone. 

20230609-152325.jpg

Two bolts out but the lower arm needs to be jacked up to take the tension off the bolts, no nuts on these, just threaded into the lower arm. Get plenty of lube on them and squirt some inside the shoulders of the bushes too.

20230609-153919.jpg

Undo the top shock mount, usually 17mm again, it's hidden in here, pop the panel off with a trim tool.

20230609-154132.jpg

The shock will pull down from the outside, watch for the rubber mount as it may come off too, take out the metal tube as the new one is supplied. 

20230609-154503.jpg

20230609-154822.jpg

Once the old unit is out the spring can be removed, you may need to press the arm down, hard, to give you enough clearance. The other end of the arm is mounted on the main chassis bolted through a bush so will try to spring back !!!!

Once the old one is out clean the inside of the arm where the spring goes, it will be muddy ! Take the old lower spring rubber off the old spring and put it on the new one...make sure it is the right way up !

20230609-154952.jpg

The new top mount just fits onto the old mount in the upper chassis.

20230609-155000.jpg

Make sure you have adjusted it for length to the spec, for your model, in the instructions. It's a bugger to do on the van !

Once the spring is in place it should look like this !!

20230609-160248.jpg

Now you can put the shock in, make sure you have the sleeves and washers in the right place and push it up through the body mount and screw the nut on the top mount on the inside, loosely.

20230609-162158.jpg

Now you will need a jack, preferably a trolley jack, get it under the lower arm where the spring sits....you WILL need to use a jack to compress the spring.

20230609-165700.jpg

Jack it up into place so you can get the lower shock bolt in...don't screw it up tight. Jack the arm up further to align the arm to hub mount. The back of the hub mount has a small protrusion on it, the arm has a corresponding "nick" in the arm, line it up and jack the arm up so it lines up with it. Jack the arm a few strokes further so it lifts the hub up and then using a pry bar gentle tease the hub outwards.  If all is well it will clunk into place and now you can jack it again to line the holes up for the final 17mm bolt.

Tighten the arm bolts as far as you can go, then torque them up,  not sure of the setting then VFT is good...24 inch breaker bar in my case 🤣🤣🤣

Don't forget to tighten the top mount nut inside the back, set the shock adjustment as required and put the cover back, bottom on first then press the top in. 

20230609-165649.jpg

Wheel back on and that's another job done !

20230609-172149.jpg

Whilst it was all apart i took the opportunity to cleanup and spray some Bilt Hamber anticorrosion fluid in all the nooks and crannies....at least someone who owns it after me may benefit 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sorry about the state of the van, not cleaned it for close on eight weeks now as we have had no rain since a small shower mid May 😜😜😜

• Like 1

• Moderators

After running the Stein for a few days it's become apparent they are underdamped on the front at the very least.

The front were set at 10 clicks back from maximum of 16 clicks as per the setup information...trouble is they make the front very wallowy.  The same 10 clicks on the back.

Now I don't know why they should be the same as I have never set damping up the same all round...I have wound them up 3 more clicks towards max damping. 

On top of that I am definitely running too low at the front,,,speed bumps are a nightmare,  the height combined with the underdamping make it almost a sea sick feeling 🤮🤮🤮

Next job is to put some height , about an inch I would guess,  on the front and try it again. 

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

After motoring about yesterday my speed bump height "test" on a particular hump shows that I probably need another turn but it is now riding really well....another click of damping on the front maybe..easy to do as the adjuster is on the top of thecshocks central location bolt.

I might just leave the height and see how I get on as I don't want to have to start messing with the rear too.

They,  Tein, definitely feel different to the Bilstein but that maybe due to the Bilstein deteriorating over time...bit like getting new tyres, budget ditch finders, and saying they are the best thing since sliced bread over the superdupa pirelldunlogoodys, sticks like s#&t tyres. !!🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1