Subscriptions & Donations ×

1988 Legend 2.7 Saloon parts

patrick.buttimer

Hi first time poster,

I have a 1988 Legend 2.7 saloon (67000 genuine miles and FSH) and I need a few bits which I am unable to source.

1. Sunroof - the glass imploded, no idea how. Car was parked up and I arrived back to see the roof in a starburst pattern. Opened the door and the glass fell in. Insurance will cover it but Autoglass seem unable to source. Any Ideas?

2. Expansion Tank - Input cracked need a replacement - any suggestions?

3. Intermittent engine idle/cut out. 9 blinks on the ECU LED. Crank Angle sensor? Is this the correct Part?  37840PL2026 Is it a big job to fit?

Thanks in advance

• Administrators

Welcome to the club and sorry hear of your recent troubles, personally, I am also looking for a spare crankshaft pulse sensor and the glass is a tricky one for sure, one member does have some spares but it is not my place to offer them as they're likely being kept due to rarity... 

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's a fair assumption the glass from a Rover 800 will fit and i just happen to have one (or two) floating around. If you can measure the aperture in the roof and let me know, i can confirm the measurements on mine and let you know. How we'll get it to you is another matter though as i see you're in Cork and the only one i know of is southern Ireland?

Before you condemn the CCA, there are two round multiplugs on the drivers side suspension turret or just behind, depending how you view it.

Disconnect the battery earth connection (make sure you have the radio code and all keys out of the car first) and disconnect these two multiplugs. Spray inside each half with contact cleaner, remake and disconnect these sevral times, give them a final squirt of contact cleaner before remaking for the last time. Reconnect the battery and test.

If there is no progress, disconnect the battery again and remove the drivers seat. Under that you will find the PGM-Fi ECU - you may have to temporarily reconnect the battery to move the seat backwards and forwards for access to the seat bolts. Make sure it's disconnected before removing any plugs from the ECU though. Give the ECU plugs the same treatment as the two round multiplugs. Also clean the points where the case of the ECU bolts to the floor, i'm not 100% sure on this but some people have reported earth problems there causing erroneous faults.

Refit and test.

Hopefully that has now sorted it but if not, once more disconnect the battery and locate the multiplug on the timing belt cover for the CCA - give this the same treatment with contact cleaner etc and reconnect the battery again and test.

Which expansion tank have you got on yours? I believe there were 2 or 3 different designs, the better Honda one is simply an expansion bottle with a "traditional" radiator cap mounted centrally on the radiator.

The not so good one is the completely sealed system with the Rover style of expansion tank. A popular mod on these is to use a Volvo 850/S60 expansion tank :

IMG-20180408-153252094.jpg

IMG-20180408-153256560.jpg

IMG-20180408-153303973.jpg

I have a Volvo 7/9xx expansion tank (torpedo shaped) that served duty without fail for many years until i updated to the square version as shown, if yours is the sealed sort then that would do the job.

Nearly forgot - welcome aboard! ;):D

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Thanks 1