Subscriptions & Donations ×

Which Brake Fluid 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Administrators

As a follow up to past discussions regarding brake & clutch fluid, I have illustrated the most common fluids used by myself or recommended by other members. So if you are looking for a standard fluid to TOP-UP you can use any standard DOT 4, but try to avoid using large amounts of generic fluid i.e flushing the system after maintenance or repairs on the braking system (you have been warned). Owners looking for great protection & responsive pedal or a one-stop solution I would highly recommend Comma DOT 4 ESP fluid. 👍

SBR0141-www.7ent.com.jpg

honda-brake-fluid-dot-4-500ml-0820399938he-70705-p.png

61kkfU9wvPL._SY879_.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: the information within this topic has been kindly contributed by one of our experienced members and has been extensively researched and found to be correct by independent testing or external resources.

Regards SITE DEVELOPMENT.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Founding Member

Hi all, 

Talking of brake servicing, what are your thoughts and experiences of bleeding kits? There are an array of these available from various prices. I have noticed simple bottles and tubes with a ball bearing in, to fully automated vacuum generation units.

Any recommendation of one to purchase (or avoid) ? Thanks in advance. Stu,

• Like 3

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Retro Rich said:

Any recommendation of one to purchase (or avoid) ? Thanks in advance. Stu,

There are various kits about to assist with this process buddy and the ones that use pressure, either from compressed air or even tyres are good but won't fit a Honda reservoir. Try an old 1.75L drink bottle and get a bleed aid from Halfords or buy the whole kit, all linked below. ;)

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/brake-clutch-fluid/europat-vizibleed-bleed-aid

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/europat-vizibleed-brake-and-clutch-bleeding-kit

• Like 3

• Moderators

I like the Gunsons Ezi-Bleed although as Stu rightly points out, it won't fit the Honda (and Rover!) reservoir straight from the box. They also sell an adaptor that is meant to fit all Honda reservoirs - but it doesn't! In theory it does but it leaks because of the fact the master cylinder is at an angle so it's impossible to use the supplied securing strap.

However i recently lent mine to a friend to bleed his 820 Vitesse and when he returned it he said he had modified it so it would now work. I have to confess i've not looked at the mod but will be interested to see what he did!

The beauty of using the pressure bleeding kits is it overcomes the pressure needed to operate certain valves in the ABS modulator block, often these can not be overcome with foot pressure given that the bleed nipples are open reducing back pressure available to operate the valves.

One little tip that certainly applies to the Rover 800 series so i would think the early Legends and potentially many other models as well, the bleed nipple faces forwards on the front calipers in normal operation.  Because of how the caliper is made, this means that there is an "air trap" above this level behind the piston that doesn't get bled. Simple answer is to remove the lower caliper retaining bolt and support the caliper in a horizontal position with a bottle jack, axle stand or similar so the bleed nipple is now uppermost.

I've yet to confirm this on my own car but reliably informed it gets rid of 90% of the bleeding problems! ;):D

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was pinned