Subscriptions & Donations ×

Headlamp Reflector Repair DIY "ROVER 827"

Laird_Scooby

• Moderators
This was inspired in part from Richies (Cryistic) suggestion with my frustrations at the reflectors of a carefully stored pair of headlamps (that were as new when stored) turning yellow. The suggestion was "bling tape" :

Also the rest of the inspiration came from my experience using cooking foil and the "Blue Peter Special" - double-sided tape to make reflectors in lamp units that previously had none to enhance their output. If you look at my signature picture, you'll see the number plate lights on the car on the right are brighter than the one on the left. Both cars had brand new bulbs (from the same box/batch) and were just as clean. The only difference is i've fitted my foil reflectors to the number plate lights on the coupe (the car on the right) but not as yet to the other one.

So to recap on the headlights, here's an example of how badly the reflectors have yellowed :

2014-08-28_00-35-11_322.jpg

That's the bottom of the outer left hand reflector. The "mountain range" that is shown is actually part of the top of the reflector and for the time being has been left alone. Firstly a piece of double-sided tape was fixed in a tactical position :

2014-08-28_12-15-40_850.jpg

Before fitting the foil (shiny side visible) the overlap was trimmed off so it was purely on the flat part of the reflector. Once fitted the foil was also trimmed with a craft knife.

2014-08-28_12-23-57_65.jpg

Likewise the inner reflector was repaired at the same time :

2014-08-28_12-15-50_12.jpg

Meanwhile the lenses and reflectors had a bit of a "wash 'n' brush up" in the dishwasher, ready for refitting:

2014-08-31_11-17-57_953.jpg

As it stands at present, i'm trying to work out how to get the highly-sprung lens clips back on! Once i do, i have new bulbs to fit (the "blue xenon look") which will improve the light output in any case. Then it's fit them to the car and trundle round to the garage and exhume the beam setter from behind the SLi and check the aim. A proper "live" testwill have to wait until after dark so i can actually compare them "before and after", which by it's very nature will be subjective but i'll do my best to be impartial.

I haven't ruled out using the "bling tape" but i have another set of lights that are in worse shape than these were so i might get the bling tape for them. Meanwhile i know this will be a lasting repair as the foil will protect the tape from the heat of the bulb.

• Moderators
Thanks Stu - so was i until i had a smashing time, better known as "How not to do it"!

2014-08-31_13-09-40_108.jpg

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
I have spare lenses but they are on other headlamps so obviously the risk of damaging the lenses again is still there.   :(
Time to think outside the box to work out what could hold the lenses in the back-shell tight enough to get the clips fitted without breaking the glass. Now where did i hide the coil spring compressors?

• Moderators
It's a vicious rumour that i'm human! icon_mrgreen.gif Just checked on Rimmers and they have them on clearance offer for just over a tenner each at the moment so i'll order one once i've got the other headlamp lens fitted successfully.

If not then it looks like i'll be ordering a pair of headlamps that are also on clearance, once i've negotiated a hefty discount on the left hand headlamp from £110.87 to match the RH lamp at £22.18! Guess which lens broke??? Yup, you got it - the LEFT HAND one! icon_evil.gif

More annoyingly once i found the knack of getting the lens clips back on i put the other lens back on with hand-pressure only! Basically the method is squeeze the lamp and lens together with one hand, put the clip on glass-side first and using the ball of the hand, "roll" the clip over the catch on the lamp body/back-shell.

I bet in the factory there is a machine that clamps the lens to the back-shell and a special, long-handled set of pliers to flip the clip on or something of that ilk!

Obviously couldn't get any photos of fitting the clips as both hands were used to squeeze the lamp and roll the clips on - apologies for that but hopefully the method will be descriptive enough!

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

Well i eventually got round to fitting these recently and i have to say i was disappointed. The light output is better, yes. The beam pattern however is not and remains a blob on the beamsetter, a bit like Casper has invaded it.

So as an experiment it was worthwhile to prove it didn't work. As a method of reviving dull reflectors it wasn't worth the effort.

However, i do have some self-adhesive chrome film now. I might give that a try just to see if that works better.

If not then it will be :

1) Back to the drawing board

2) An order going in soon for a pair of new pattern headlights!

I have also considered a twin headlamp conversion using either round or square lamps but for now i'll persevere with the experiments.

• Moderators

You're welcome Stu - excretious occurrus as they say in posh pubs! On the bright side (no pun intended! :P ) it's an opportunity to find something else that does work although at some point you have to draw a line where it's not worth trying to repair as it's more expensive than replacement.

Something that has crossed my mind is this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261909616291?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

to plate a copper substrate onto the plastic reflector housing. This could then be chromed with :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261909619348?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

this to make the reflectors bright and shiny once again. Obviously the set up costs are quite high to start with (£138 inc P&P) but with genuine headlamps from Rimmers somewhere in the £120-130 + P&P price range, if it was possible to rechrome 2 headlamp reflectors then it would pay for itself nearly twice over in its first use. However, if pattern headlamps were used for the price comparison then they come out about £50-60 a pair delivered but still halfway to paying for itself.

Either way there would (or at least should!) be some chemicals left over for future plating/rechroming projects - chrome rocker covers perhaps???