Subscriptions & Donations ×

Idle problems 1994-2000 RA Honda Shuttle/ Odyssey 2.3i

hughezee

• Administrators

There are lots of things that can contribute to an idle issue on the Honda F-series engine and they are very sensitive to certain grades of oil, especially cheap fuel, even low exhaust back pressure to name a few. In fact, in the end, the F-series may never be perfect because of the nature of a 4 cylinder engine which fires every 180º of a crankshaft rotation. 

Anyway back to resolving the idle issue and anybody tempted to adjust FITV the fast idle thermal valve STOP and check the basics first. Example the rotor arm & distributor or plugs and I would recommend NGK or Denso. Also, it’s worth inspecting the leads and if they need replacement (visible problem) don't cheap out go O.E or NGK leads at the very least.^_^

So I have a 1999 Accord that struggles to start and stalls intermittently and the owner has spent a fortune at his local garage swapping parts and with some help from another forum is on the verge of scrapping it with no improvement. :( He made one last search on the internet and found me and travelled 78miles one way and I assured him it would be worth the trip. He turned up with a miserable look, totally understandable almost £700 spent by know.:o I got to work straight away, first on the list was sort out the fast idle and get back to its place as it was clear it was adjusted. I left things cool down left for a couple of hours whilst putting the old HT leads back on Dizzy & rotor which happened to be an ADL Blueprint one, so left that. Binned the new Bosch plugs and fitted Denso's. I then cleaned the throttle and butterfly valve, even checked the fuel pressure and relay (also replaced) changed the 5w40 F.S oil to 10w30 all going well now. Started it and it fired up sweetly and the previous valve noise (tappets) disappeared after the second helping of oil went round...

We went for a quick spin to warm things up and the guy was overwhelmed how much better the car performed :D and then we pulled up checked the levels and the cooling system was behaving as it should, just topped it off a little as air pockets can trigger idle problems.

Was the idle fixed after all this? 50% better but NO, did I fix it YES

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hughezee said:

Was the idle fixed after all this? 50% better but NO, did I fix it YES

Do you mean the idle still not right but all the other issues gone?

Did you find the actual culprit or just work through the system?

Which ever way excellent result ! :D

• Like 1

• Administrators

I only really had a few options left, so went looking for a vacuum leak and hey presto PCV system was a miss, new section of hose and a new PCV and reset ECU despite there not being an engine management light, but always good to kick off the cars learning process. Started car ran for while and it idles as smooth as silk and absolutely goes like the clappers according to the owner, so a great result all sorted for less than £50.

I even managed to speak to the garage who admittedly put it all down to the car being old with 150,000 miles and has agreed to refund all labour costs, so no need to name or shame an honest business who just doesn't fix many Honda's, as they just don't play up very often they said.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hughezee said:

Started car ran for while and it idles as smooth as silk and absolutely goes like the clappers according to the owner, so a great result all sorted for less than £50.

I even managed to speak to the garage who admittedly put it all down to the car being old with 150,000 miles and has agreed to refund all labour costs, so no need to name or shame an honest business who just doesn't fix many Honda's, as they just don't play up very often they said.

£50 !! Stu, you are a great guy, take a bow, well done:D

and to top it all you get the guy his costs back too, You ARE THE MAN !:)

• Like 1