Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Knock Sensor 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord 1.8 2.0 2.3

kevirl

Hi guys.

I have a crack in my knock sensor thats giving me a check engine light. Has anyone ever replaced one in the 2.0 accord coupe and got any tips?

Its very tight to try and maneuver a ratchet from underneath. Some guides have suggested taking the drive axle out but I really dont want to dive into all that. Any kind of thumb ratchet or extension that could help?

Thanks.

• Administrators

Welcome to the club and sorry to hear your having trouble with your coupe AKA code 23 :( I have replaced a few of these and personally I've never needed to remove anything but the oil filter to gain easer access as its next to the oil pressure switch on the F20B5 engines, well this applies to F-series in general but some can be more tricky to remove as the coolant pipe might need moving :rolleyes:

Anyway using a swivel socket could help ^_^ with a 24mm or 27mm deep socket (depends on the manufacturer of the sensor) and extension makes life easier for removal & installation, as these sensors can be fragile and buying from Honda UK they are priced over 200 squid :o thankfully they can be sourced at a fraction of that ^_^

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hughezee said:

Welcome to the club and sorry to hear your having trouble with your coupe AKA code 23 :( I have replaced a few of these and personally I've never needed to remove anything but the oil filter to gain easer access as its next to the oil pressure switch on the F20B5 engines, well this applies to F-series in general but some can be more tricky to remove as the coolant pipe might need moving :rolleyes:

Anyway using a swivel socket could help ^_^ with a 24mm or 27mm deep socket (depends on the manufacturer of the sensor) and extension makes life easier for removal & installation, as these sensors can be fragile and buying from Honda UK they are priced over 200 squid :o thankfully they can be sourced at a fraction of that ^_^

Thanks hughezee.

I will do an oil change soon and have a go. Maybe I can update this with some pics if it goes well. :D

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips hughzee. Got it in and that pesky check engine light is off.

The green part of the sensor was cracked so I just took all the housing off.

IMG_20160913_111656.jpg

The only problem I ran into was that grey connector was in the way, I guess its part of the harness wiring, and just could not get it disconnected to move it. Maybe I could have used a shorter 24mm socket... So anyway i ended up using the impact wrench with extension on the 12mm bracket bolt :D nothing like a bit of overkill with power tools but it wasn't budging by hand.

IMG_20160930_134454.jpg

The knock sensor broke loose nice and easily with the ratchet so that was good. 

IMG_20160930_133000.jpg

Replacement sensor installed.

IMG_20160930_134124.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to New Knock Sensor 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord 1.8 2.0 2.3
  • The topic was pinned