Subscriptions & Donations ×

Upgraded Replacement Discs/Pads with Painted Calipers

AhsyV6

• Founding Member

Just wanted to share the installation of my new rear EBC Grooved and Dimpled discs and Redstuff pads. My intention was for this to be done during my visit to Honda 6 HQ but I was sent the wrong rear discs so I did the fronts only. Luckily for me Stu and Rich loosened the rear disc screws and greased them for me for easily removal......THANK YOU!

Stu also sent me replacement screws for Volkswagen cars with an Allen key head which he prefers over the Honda ones. I greased these when installing the discs. 

You will also see that I painted the calipers in brushable Black Hammerite Smooth paint albeit VERY badly.....I'm actually quite pissed at my effort and shouldve spent longer in prep(which is the standard approach in ANYTHING we do). It got dark and I got soaked and just wanted the job to be over. I even left my Coupe on my friends drive 20 miles away so the Hammerite can cure (Stus advice) and will pick it up on Wednesday before going to badminton.

image.thumb.jpeg.63c101946984a2ddb495482
image.thumb.jpeg.d92336aab7ddb6dca03acca
image.thumb.jpeg.340d7a57ccc04b58310abc1
image.thumb.jpeg.7dce592def514462b16a1b5
image.thumb.jpeg.77aedcb584ce856f8022110
image.thumb.jpeg.b38d622c8af8c6a325000f9
image.thumb.jpeg.87e5c4b3d7606b899771477
image.thumb.jpeg.dcc07f12c83506ec57b05eb
image.thumb.jpeg.5f8eb6563f00ac4b3691815

I have decided I will spray the fronts but haven't decided if I should use smooth or Hammer finish so that the imperfections blend in to the textured finish.

image.thumb.jpeg.97f85f3b8df49a1138b898d
image.thumb.jpeg.2a8f84cad379341bcb55642
image.thumb.jpeg.44e813e0fa6a7bb97bcbd0a
image.thumb.jpeg.207dc280f89219e4f360f35

The odd thing is that out of the 4 pads only one had the wear indicator attached where the originals had one on each side. Anyway you will see that I incorrectly fitted 2 pads with the Caliper openings on the back of the pad to one side. I corrected this afterwards

• Like 2

• Founding Member
6 hours ago, hughezee said:

Top job that man, they look the business and at least the groove is the right way round on the rear discs :lol:

Thanks mate.....I did think about just matching the direction with the fronts but then thought I'll swap them over when I paint the front calipers. 

• Like 1

• Founding Member
1 hour ago, Brett said:

Good stuff Ashy I must paint mine a some point.

I will be using smooth silver on mine.BTW the disks look good as well ;)

Thanks mate.....obviously your paint job will be better that mine! 

Use a good wire brush as it does wonders and then an assortment of sandpaper(which I had bought especially but clearly didn't use!!!!).  I cleaned them down with caliper cleaner which does en excellent job, I bought isopropyl alcohol for cleaning but it looked like the caliper cleaner did the same job and it evaporated very quickly too. 

On Stus advice I didn't do the fronts at his place as he said the Hammermite needs to cure bout 48hrs. If not then the oil in the paint when heated under braking could cause the paint to blister. 

Good luck and look forward to the pics! 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Also how are the EBC Grooved and Dimpled discs going Ahsy, as I am more steered towards OEM’s or Equivalents these days in light of my experiences with upgraded brakes allot are just for show or just poor quality by comparison :huh:

• Founding Member
4 hours ago, hughezee said:

Follow up shot on Brett's painted calipers ;)

IMG_20160604_145840_zps2aznbock.jpg

Very nice and looks like a solid block of clean metal now.

still haven't done mine yet......the list just gets longer! The Lambda arrived today and that's been added to the list too!

• Founding Member
4 hours ago, hughezee said:

Also how are the EBC Grooved and Dimpled discs going Ahsy, as I am more steered towards OEM’s or Equivalents these days in light of my experiences with upgraded brakes allot are just for show or just poor quality by comparison :huh:

These are my second pair as I had Black Diamond discs before but they were drilled and grooved. I really like them and of course I like the look too. I think you'd have to drive the coupe to see how different they feel to OEMs. 

In the past on my Legend coupe and previous Accord coupe I had OEMs warp on me from overheating during excessive braking so that's another reason I went for decent aftermarket discs. 

You mentioned that I may need one more brake fluid change and feel that I do as there is a little bit more play/feels a little spongy. 

I had mintex pads before and now have the EBC Redstuff and I'm pretty impressed with the bite and more so of the massive reduction in brake dust. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Good Stuff, yeah a couple of fluid changes will help allot as your pedal felt softer than I'm used to before I bled the system, so there's plenty of room for improvement ;)

The only reason why I asked about the brakes is a drilled disc is more of a nice look than an advantage these days, they are more prone to warping or cracking due the drilling weakening them, hence why they are not used in racing. So your pad choice is critical factor and how much you stamp on them will determine how long they last :lol: Nevertheless they look the part :D my oversized vented discs are thinker than Brett's so warping isn't my concern, so keep us posted on your progress with them buddy...

• Founding Member

Because of the warping on my OEMs that's why I decided to try them and have really liked them. 

I think I mentioned before if money wasn't an object I would install the big brake upgrade by Brembo but I won't be at £1200 just for the fronts! 

I will keep you up to date mate and actually may book a date with you in July for a few bits. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'll soon replace all my brake discs and pads for the CG4 and was thinking of EBC premium plain discs front and rear. One of the reason is that they have that black anti-rust coating and i think it's an nice addition.

Also i'm looking for some brake pads that produce the less dust possible.

So what are your though on the EBC premium discs, any experience ? Also what brake pads do you recommend for less dust possible ?

Since recommendation for brake pads may vary on style and driving condition, i can say that i'm not a spirited driver but more a cruiser and i don't drive in urban city a lot so not that much stop and go. My coupe is more a week-end pleasure. 

• Founding Member

Not familiar with the EBC premium but I have the grooved and dimpled which I really like. I have black diamond grooved and vented and think I might go back to these. Is definitely recommend the EBC Redstuff.....excellent stopping power with minimal brake dust....massive difference 

• Like 1