Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Legend - What to look for if your considering buying one?

Cryistic

• Founding Member

As my coupe has gearbox/Torque converter Issues I'm looking at replacement cars, one of which is a KA9 Legend, does anyone have any information on what issues I should be looking out for.

How is the Autobox on these and is it as likely to go pear shaped as the Accord Coupe gearboxes?

The other car I'm looking it at is a series 1 GS300 Sport.

I could buy a Honda Logo just to freak Dave out though  ;)

• Like 1

• Administrators

The Legends torque converter drive plate can fail and I have fixed this issue before for £££ and in regards to the Lexy the combined brake master cylinder ABS/ESP module is prone to failure as well many other brake related faults ££££'s Also the Lexus has fuel tank problems relating to wiring harness, fuel line seal leaks are common but often go unnoticed. Also if the Lexus says anything below 31 mpg on a steady test drive it has some niggles lurking although it does have very optimistic mpg read out compared to the Legend ;)

Other than that they are both very comparable with age related faults e.g worn ball joints, exhaust system ect

• Founding Member

Cheers Stu, thanks for the info as always.

Are their any telltale signs of the torque converter issues that I would pick up on a test drive?

When you say £££, whats the ball park figure to fix the above.

I'll be going for a series 1 GS300 to avoid the brake booster issues that plauge series 2 cars, what with not having £2k to spend on a new booster unit!

• Like 1

• Administrators

yes sorry buddy, there would be a metallic dink sound when torque converter locks up on the legend and yeah its mainly the mk2 GS300 that has a leaky booster issues, but I have replaced an ABS pump on a mk1 and fitted new central locking module still rather expensive fixes  :o nevertheless the engines and tranny’s are pretty solid for 300k+ if well maintained earlier on in life ;)

• The topic was pinned
  • This topic was featured and unpinned