Subscriptions & Donations ร—

New Coolant/ Antifreeze 1994-2000 RA Honda Shuttle/ Odyssey 2.2 2.3i

hughezee

• Administrators

Just a few pic's from my Shuttles coolant change today, this is the second time I've changed it and I will make it three times before the winter sets in, then I will be completely happy to leave it for while maybe 3-4 years.

First picture from up top showing the drain located at the bottom of the radiator, leave the radiator cap on whilst loosening this.๐Ÿ‘

DSC03362.jpgDSC03365.jpgDSC03367.jpgDSC03363.jpgDSC03368.jpg

Once the drain is loosened and you see a little dribble coming from the small hole, proceed to remove the radiator cap, and it will start coming out more quickly. Some people will completely remove the drain but it will get messy in my opinion, but it's your call. ๐Ÿคช

DSC03369.jpgDSC03372.jpgDSC03373.jpgDSC03380.jpgDSC03381.jpg

Now proceed to remove the expansion tank, it is worth cleaning out as best you can before reinstalling it. A quick tip: overfilling the expansion tank about an inch above the max mark, this will level off once the job is completed, so no need to top up.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰

DSC03374.jpgDSC03375.jpgDSC03376.jpgDSC03377.jpgDSC03378.jpg

My original coolant tested very weak first time round, obviously lots of water top-ups over the years anyway I refilled with 30-40% ish mix rather than 50/50 mix but it's up to you obviously.๐Ÿ˜‰ A quick tip: the pound-land funnels fit very snugly into Honda radโ€™s ๐Ÿ‘

DSC03386.jpgDSC03384.jpg

Now once you are happy the system is drained and the drain plug is tightened up proceed to refill the system up, typically most Honda cooling systems only require 4L of coolant. A quick tip: I would premix your antifreeze concentrate and water before refilling the system or buying a premixed 4L or 5L container will save some hassle, if you are a little short just top off will water.๐Ÿ‘

DSC03385.jpgDSC03387.jpgDSC03389.jpg

Now once the system appears filled, start the engine and you should notice the coolant level drop, you can have the heater set to hot or cold at this stage. I normally set it cold to start with and make sure the A.C is switched off and the engine will warm up quicker. As the level drops in the funnel keep and bubbles keeping surfacing refilling and periodically raise the engine idle speed.๐Ÿ˜‰

DSC03392.jpg

I would estimate this process will take at least 30-40 minutes once the level stabilizes with no large bubbles apparent I would turn to full heat on the heater and refill as necessary, this should only take another 10-15minutes. ๐Ÿ™„

Now once you're happy you have gotten the majority of the air out, remove the funnel and put the cap back on and put the prefilled expansion tank back in, put on the lid. Then wait for the fans to kick in, you might have to raise the engine speed again to speed this up. A quick tip: a bit of 12mm tube to bung the funnel and we have no spillages.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

DSC03394.jpgDSC03393.jpg

ย 

Eric the car guy has a good video on this process, although it's wise in my opinion to turn the heat from HOT to COLD during the process or before you finish off and 9/10 times more air will come out of the system.

Happy Motoringย  ;)

ย 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to New Coolant/ Antifreeze 1994-2000 RA Honda Shuttle/ Odyssey 2.2 2.3i
  • The topic was pinned