Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Shuttle 2.3 ES Timing Belt "REPLACE YOUR BELT"

hughezee

• Administrators

Well, I hadn't rehearsed this job, in fact, its my first Honda shuttle timing belt replacement  :o The experience with 5-6th Gen accords stood me in good stead thankfully. Although the limited access wasn't helping matters, nevertheless the 14-year-old belt hung on :mellow: The belt was starting to get play between the teeth and a distinctive growl now then indicated the timing was shifting a little at 3500-4000 rpm :o  so I'm glad I tackled this job sooner rather than later  ;)

SHUTTLE1.JPG

Anyway, the job is done and she's purring like a kitten, also I opted for the SKF 2 belt kit including, tensioners, oil seals :P

SHUTTLE 2.JPG

So I wouldn't recommend anybody leave theirs that long no matter how few miles you have <_< any belt older than 6-7 years should be replaced ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators
8 hours ago, welland99 said:

Have you changed a timing belt on an f20b5

yes, it's basically the same belt for all F series with slight variations in aftermarket kits, some make whirring noises as a result, your probably long overdue and a replacement water pump is highly recommended too... 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 9:55 AM, hughezee said:

yes, it's basically the same belt for all F series with slight variations in aftermarket kits, some make whirring noises as a result, your probably long overdue and a replacement water pump is highly recommended too... 

Is it a difficult job, or is it feasible for an enthusiastic amateur to have a go in the driveway?   Although mine has 186k miles on the clock, I did get the belt changed some years ago, maybe around 140k?  So, it might not be well overdue, but perhaps only due.  ?

Do I take it that if the belt breaks, there is going to be interference between the valves and pistons?

• Like 2

• Administrators

Yes, the F-series in an interference engine but as you say likely not urgent and should be okay for a couple more years, but the water pump concerns me with that mileage as its driven by the timing belt unless that was replaced last time? Also, I wouldn't say its an easy DIY job either seen plenty of garages and dealers mess up the job using the right tools, I wouldn't recommend it if you've not done one before?

• Like 2