Subscriptions & Donations ×

Joels' v6 coupe

Morgleymorgs

Hi all this is the accord coupe i picked up just over a week ago.

IMG-20200716-121815.jpg

IMG-20200716-121842.jpg

IMG-20200716-121826.jpgY

Yiiikkes

IMG-20200716-122113.jpg

Interior is in better nic.

IMG-20200716-122052.jpg

Coastal car! Hope the rust isnt a problem!

Sorry some of the pics a lil dark, might retake some new ones. So far very pleased with the car, drives nice. Plenty of scratches on it, pic above being worst offender 😒. No problems until today when I noticed an oil patch under the car, looks like its coming from the rack and pinion unit/bellow - ill have to investigate further.

The car had one owner from new up until 2018ish when it was sold to the dealer i bought it off. Not sure how long the dealer had it for sale for but he did say he had some people asking if he would deliver the car- which he wouldn't do. I was impressed all the comforts were working -  heated seats, electric adjustable seat etc. Only thing that doesn't work is the AC which i'm guessing just needs to be re-gased. 

Paid £700 tell me what u think! 🤐

• Like 4
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Looks good from this end, for the money, looks like it will tidy up nicely. 

The rust underneath doesn't look too bad but I think I would clean it all , have a poke around just to make sure its solid, derust it and get it covered with some good rust prevention before winter sets in !!!

Looking at the mot history , most fails are from stuff that should never have shown up, wipers, lights, tyres etc...so no worries there.

The two ones to look at are the transmission fluid leak that came up a couple of times......that maybe what you are seeing leaking..., and also have all those ball joints etc been done.....if it is trans fluid then keep an eye on the level, failure of the boxes is not uncommon due to lack of maintenance. 

If the rack is actually leaking that maybe what the mot tester saw and got it wrong about the trans leak...either way definitely a priority in my view.

Just my opinion on what I can see, others will be along shortly I guess, with some more thoughts 🙂

Keep us upto date on your progress,  and keep the pics coming !

• Like 3

• Moderators

Errr, yeah, what those two said! ^^^^^

Worth investigating the leak to determine exactly where it's coming from. A previous owner of one of my beasts had the engine oil cooler removed because it was leaking ATF - go figure! :blink:🤪 The exact cause of the problem was an incorrectly centred steering rack compounded by horrendously bad wheel alignment. When i say it was toeing out too much, it made Charlie Chaplin look pigeon toed!

All of this meant that while driving straight, the rack thought it was being turned so was using the PAS from the pump, resulting in the PAS fluid boiling over the top of the reservoir in the top of the pump and dripping all over the engine oil cooler!

Note this isn't a Honda, just pointing out what incorrect diagnosis can lead to! Found a NOS genuine oil cooler but need the nipple (manufacturers name for it, honest!) that you screw into the oil cooler to secure it and then mount the oil filter. Needles and haystacks come to mind!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys. 👍 Have had a week off work so managed to clean the car up a bit. I have re-gassed the ac and thats working now (after putting in stop-leak first). And also have changed the pollen filters thanks to the guide here.

I'm kinda of glad they were dirty - after the work it takes to get to them! lol.

IMG-20200802-213026.jpg

As for the PSF leak, i think its coming from the power steering pressure switch... I can reach down to it and have plenty of oil on my fingers after. I've got a non-genuine one on order from china. Has anyone heard of these leaking on the coupes?

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 2

• 5 months later...
  • Founding Member

Same place my coupe rotted too - albeit not quite so badly.  And a relatively simple repair - luckily only a friendly advisory from my MOT guy rather than a fail....

Not convinced your guy jacked it up / supported it in the right place though.. but it seems o have worked out OK.

• Like 2

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Not convinced your guy jacked it up / supported it in the right place though.. but it seems o have worked out OK.

Have to admit i agree although that are where the jack-pad is seems to be reinforced.

I don't like two-post lifts though, too precarious on the balance front for my liking. Also when welding and the shell is compromised then they can bend while the new bit is welded in, not desirable at all! :o

19 hours ago, PaulS said:

Same place my coupe rotted too - albeit not quite so badly.  And a relatively simple repair - luckily only a friendly advisory from my MOT guy rather than a fail....

Tbh when they told me it failed on corrosion, I thought it was gonna be some bad rust I spotted where one of the o/s rear control arms meets the body. Which I thought would be far more of a safety concern that the sill - but hey I'm not the expert. I might get a pic of that rust to see what you guys think.

17 hours ago, Chrismas said:

STT  that's a South Devon suffix, so yes, definitely a coastal car! Where are you based, as Torbay is my neck of the woods?

I'm in Bristol so a little bit of a drive to pick it up from Newton Abbot. I'm in the Torbay area quite often as part of my lorry driving job - nice place to go!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, hughezee said:

Great work keeping your coupe going 👍 I think some drainage holes would have been a good idea though?😉

Very good point, definitely an oversight. I'm gonna be putting on a missing wheel arch cover and also maybe coating the underside with some anti rust product - I will drill some holes then. 👍

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...