Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators

Valeo are French - no further comment! :lol:

Things just don't seem to last these days, not like they used to. NO i'm not getting old (well i am, yes, technically) but seriously, a few years back, you could buy wiper blades and expect a few years out of them at least. Now they're lucky to last a year! :o

In Practical Classics, there's an on-going thing about new parts not lasting like the originals. Things like Mini exhaust bobbins, various suspension bushes on all kinds of cars, in fact virtually everything has had a mention at some point.

Is it because they're trying to make things that much quicker these days and rubber components don't have time to set in the mould properly, other components are hurriedly assembled and so on?

• Like 2

• Moderators

I never understood Hondas use of Valeo. As i'm sure you're aware Stu, Valeo were a "new" company formed by the merger of Cibie, Paris-Rhone, Ducellier and a few others that i can't remember now. All French companies. All carp. ;)

They had plenty of Japanese companies to choose from, Mitsubishi (starters, wiper motors etc), Koito for lighting and probably umpteen other choices, i believe Hitachi still do a lot of automotive stuff in Japan too.

Funny thing is, on the 800s with their allegedly "fragile" electrics, the parts that fail most are the front fogs (rot from the inside out), wiper motors, alarm systems (mainly the fobs) and parts tend to break on the rear light clusters too. :o

Guess what? All those parts are Valeo. The front fogs are also used on Renault 5 & 21 models, the alarm fobs likewise (in a different casing), wiper motors i'm not sure but probably another Renault and the rear lights were obviously 800 only but with the same dire quality.

• grrrr 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just give the old girl a quick bath ( and the car too ! ) and checked oil, used none, checked coolant, used none, checked windscreen washer...used lots ! Roads are full of cr£p round here.. checked box oil, used none and clean ?... checked tyre pressure, all good. Put bonnet down !?

Despite having to work for a living this last three weeks because of the Elysion problem, Greenie has taken it in her stride, WELL PLEASED ✔️? taken all my tools and carried timber, copper pipes, waste pipes (max 10 feet !) and all else in between.

Downside is mileage is creeping up.....

Coupe-clean-4-221018.jpg

Coupe-clean-2-221018.jpg

Coupe-clean-1-221018.jpg

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

Another working vehicle  - the car is plenty big enough for it. I use mine daily for my decorating business after having a van for maybe the past 20 years. She doesn't complain. Off up to see Stu this weekend to get her fettled and ready for the winter ?

...and yes, it does look as black as mine!

• Like 3

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Another working vehicle  - the car is plenty big enough for it.

Yep ! always been impressed with the size of the boot as mentioned several times in other threads ?

I just don't have an alternative at the moment as I sold the Caddy earlier in the year and the Elysion is the replacement for work and for extended family duties.... just can't get eight people in the Coupe though ?

• Like 3

• Site Subscriber’s

I had the ladder rack in yesterday to carry some long planks, always surprised it's solid enough with such a short roof 

Plus an eight tread pair of Youngman steps in the boot...

The estate version must be amazing.

However, fully loaded, the fuel economy is a bit grim for work around town.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

There is no official estate version of the 6th Generation Accord in the USA or UK, however, there's a JDM version but sadly it has more in common with UK version. ?

01w.jpg12.jpg09.jpg

Although saying that, this SiR one has the H22 block (ATR) and looks very spacouse indeed, so wouldn't be upset with one if I'm totally honest ?

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Me being me (aka awkward), i prefer the 5th gen Aerodeck/estate version of the Accord :

s-l1600.jpg

That's a 2.0iLS on fleabay at the moment, for me it would have to be the 2.2iES auto in a different colour. ;):D

Had the 2.2 manual version in dark green, near enough coupe green ! Fabulous cars ..... Had two of them actually and a red 2 litre one too.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Kelvin said:

I had the ladder rack in yesterday to carry some long planks, always surprised it's solid enough with such a short roof 

Plus an eight tread pair of Youngman steps in the boot...

However, fully loaded, the fuel economy is a bit grim for work around town.

You need my 2.4 Tourer !!! ?   

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Had the 2.2 manual version in dark green,

I had the 2.2iES auto Coupé in Malachite Green, sort of turquoise colour. Traded my first 740GLE in against it, that was Blue-Green (yes, that really was the name of the colour!) and literally only a shade or two darker than the Coupé. My (then, now ex) wife said i had a thing for awkward colours - looking at my fleet now i have to disagree - what's wrong with Silver-Green and White Gold? :lol:

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

I really do but I'm loath to sell the coupe or run two vehicles, it looks a beauty.

I'm guessing you're self-employed so you could put the Tourer down as a van, ok it's a second insurance but the Coupé could (probably) go on a classic policy on limited mileage (say 5k a year) so you could have the best of both worlds. You might even find it's cheaper to insure both that way than just having the Coupé as your main car/works van for business, SD&P, commuting etc.

It would also benefit you on the tax front as you wouldn't be using your works vehicle for private use (would you? ;););) ) so you wouldn't be paying tax on "benefit in kind".

Could be worth looking into, it might be a brilliant idea - or it might be absolutely terrible and cost you a fortune - no knowing until you find out! ;):D

• Site Subscriber’s
3 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I'm guessing you're self-employed so you could put the Tourer down as a van, ok it's a second insurance but the Coupé could (probably) go on a classic policy on limited mileage (say 5k a year) so you could have the best of both worlds. You might even find it's cheaper to insure both that way than just having the Coupé as your main car/works van for business, SD&P, commuting etc.

It would also benefit you on the tax front as you wouldn't be using your works vehicle for private use (would you? ;););) ) so you wouldn't be paying tax on "benefit in kind".

Could be worth looking into, it might be a brilliant idea - or it might be absolutely terrible and cost you a fortune - no knowing until you find out! ;):D

Dreadful idea - it would cost an arm and a leg. I looked into it initially, when I first got the coupe. She copes fine with work and is happy being used, not a day going by without hitting the redline ?

• Like 2

I fitted a new windscreen wiper to the driver's side of my coupe today. Although brand new (20"), it is very old stock and the list of cars to which it fits is interesting. Eg:several models of Ferrari and a transit van. ?

Today is the 18th anniversary of my coupe's first registration.? 

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

Mine need replacing - less than a year. 

A trip to Stu yesterday and whilst he fettled, I put some clips in the rear bumper to straighten it up after a builder reversed in to it in the spring.

After the ECU reset, she's driving beautifully, staggeringly so. The drop into 'overdrive' at 25mph is hardly noticeable.

The side indicators are now clear and suit the car so much, definitely better on dark cars.

Such a great car the V6.

• Like 3

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, welland99 said:

How is this done, and how is it beneficial?

This question has been raised on several topics but basically, the auto transmission wears and being an early partially electronically controlled transmission it's limited how it adjusts for internal wear and since the transmission relies on the engine data to shift into the most suitable gear at certain speeds & loads there harmony is lost.

In lamens terms there relationship breaks down over time, so doing a full rest bring them back on the same page working together as Honda intended.  

Maybe Dave could answer this better as he always does, my two pennies worth and I am off to bed for an earlier night ?

• Like 1