Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators

Thanks Stu, already been through that one and it just appears that the lower underbody plastic push clips secure the side sill on...i presume there are no screws / clips on the top in the door frame under the tread plate ?

Do the clips come off the body and get reinserted in the sill and then sill pushed back on directly?

Edit: scratch that ! despite trying to get the sill cover off for an hour last night I went at it this morning and off it came in 2 mins !! Amazing what going away from a job and returning later does for you ! ?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just love the way these Coupes don't seem to rust badly ?

With the sill off only a couple of surface rust patches have appeared in 17 years !! Still, they will be cleaned off and Bilt Hamber S50 squirted down the sill insides and then a coat of Underbody Clear added to the outside before the sill goes back.

Sill_removal_1.jpg

Sill_removal_2.jpg

Sill_removal_3.jpg

Sill_removal_4.jpg

Sill_removal_5.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

The bad news is that the last retaining bracket at the rear of the sill cover is broken on the bottom mount. That's why its been flapping about. The top mount was holding though so I cleaned it up and got the Tigerseal out ? 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Both sills been off now, bracket repaired on offside, under sealed both areas plus some other places under the car and sills back on ,  put in the missing studs and screws that the previous owners "garage" work had completed .  phew !

Just got to jack the rear end now and have a look at the various bits clean and under seal as necessary and its good to go for the winter ?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Nothing major to report as I've been working on other motors, just oil & filter and some lube guard for the slushbox and a sprinkle of CATACLEAN in the tank for good measure, ?

20180809-144055.jpg20180725-134426%5B1%5D.jpg

I did swap my idler pulley for a new one as another coupe needed a replacement bearing, so just swapped the whole unit. ?

20180809-135758.jpg20180819-122537%5B1%5D.jpg

Also, my dipstick tube needed removing when replacing the idler pulley assembly and noticed the "O" ring had split, so fitted a new one ?

20180819-122521%5B1%5D.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Oooo-errrrr!!! Nothing worse than a split ring! ?

And having your dipstick removed rather than the cars also must also warrant a mention !?

Well, spotted Stu, stops those little weeps !

nice to see a proper filter being used !!, good job we picked a few up before the price hike !

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

As nothing has actually dropped off Greenie  the Coupe there is not much to report except that Greenie and I are off to a Classic meet tomorrow and it got a bath today, first time for six weeks so it will need some more looking at when i have the time.

Coupe_2_010918.jpg

Coupe_3_010918.jpg

Coupe_4_010918.jpg

Coupe_5_010918.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My new footwell carpets arrived yesterday and I am quite pleased with them. You could read a paper through my original ones which had done over 230,000 miles ! They were from my first Coupe since none came with my latest model when I bought it. 

20180930-112458.jpg

Having done my research I decided to do business with Unique Products from Skegness despite their having no records for a 1998 Accord Coupe. The lady in charge is Morgan Cobble to whom I sent templates which are now scanned and in their database.

20180930-112416.jpg

I chose both mats from their Luxury Range in beige with a heelpad on the driver's side all for £35.00 including postage. All I had to do was the locating eyelet.

• Like 3

• Founding Member
2 hours ago, Jon said:

My new footwell carpets arrived yesterday and I am quite pleased with them. You could read a paper through my original ones which had done over 230,000 miles ! They were from my first Coupe since none came with my latest model when I bought it. 

Having done my research I decided to do business with Unique Products from Skegness despite their having no records for a 1998 Accord Coupe. The lady in charge is Morgan Cobble to whom I sent templates which are now scanned and in their database.

I chose both mats from their Luxury Range in beige with a heelpad on the driver's side all for £35.00 including postage. All I had to do was the locating eyelet.

Did they not put the eyelet hole in? 

Also, why are you only “quite pleased” with the mats? 

• Like 3

They omitted the eyelet hole (despite it being clearly show on the template) and supplied four plastic anchors which I declined to use. I consider this a minor detail which was easy to overcome.

Why am I "quite pleased"" because overall I am, it was a balance between budget and quality. The mats have a granular backing because all their mats do, I would have preferred a secondary backing but for £35 I was prepared to compromise. They were nice people to do business with which goes a long way with me and I had had quotes which ranged up to £160 !

• Like 2

• Founding Member
8 hours ago, Jon said:

They omitted the eyelet hole (despite it being clearly show on the template) and supplied four plastic anchors which I declined to use. I consider this a minor detail which was easy to overcome.

Why am I "quite pleased"" because overall I am, it was a balance between budget and quality. The mats have a granular backing because all their mats do, I would have preferred a secondary backing but for £35 I was prepared to compromise. They were nice people to do business with which goes a long way with me and I had had quotes which ranged up to £160 !

They seem like a very well run organisation and i agree in that Service goes a long way. 

I get that aboutvtte secondary backing as I have a granular backed set on top of my originals and the backs have just disintegrated over time into granular bits. 

I still might give them a go  

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 9/30/2018 at 11:14 AM, Jon said:

20180930-112458.jpg

20180930-112416.jpg

They look great Jon, always like clean mats keeps the interior looking fresh IMO

• Like 3

• Moderators

Today I officially got pi***d off with the wipers on the Coupe...I mean, I bought these Denso wipers only eighteen months ago and the supplier tells me they are out of warranty !!! ? 

Don't know what the world is coming to !!!!!

Anyway, I have been using Bosch wipers on the rest of the fleet and although expensive they outlast the cheap stuff by a mile plus giving service with minimal deterioration.

Given up trying to get Wilko stuff in right sizes, although cheap are supposed to last well but no good if not available..

Bosch it is then, nipped down to local supplier, window cleaned, wipers removed and new Bosch aero supplied and fitted whilst I waited ? 

25 quid.....cost me 18 for Denso last time and I had to fit them !!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Given up trying to get Wilko stuff in right sizes, although cheap are supposed to last well but no good if not available..

Sadly they won't be - i found out some time back they are dropping wiper blades from their range and posted something to that effect in one or more thread.

39 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Bosch it is then,

I've got a 13" Bosch blade on the tailgate wiper of the Volvo, not over impressed with it to be honest. Going to be looking for a better alternative.

• Sad 1

• Administrators
On 10/8/2018 at 12:55 PM, PTR200S said:

Today I officially got pi***d off with the wipers on the Coupe...I mean, I bought these Denso wipers only eighteen months ago and the supplier tells me they are out of warranty !!! ? 

Don't know what the world is coming to !!!!!

They are definitely not as good as they once were as we discussed on the recommendation topic but on the other hand, the Bosch ones I've been using are not even lasting 6-8 months on the cars I've fitted them too ? so will continue to use the Denso for solely the aesthetics on the coupe and genuine ones on the Odyssey...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

That's not good guys, if the quality is going down on the supposed good stuff what is the crappy stuff doing.

I used to use champion wipers a few years back , on the van particularly, eventually the quality went the same way...downhill ,,,so stopped using them . Cant remember the brand used before that...same problem.

Bosch have been good on my other vehicles but you have got me worried now Stu ! 

Does anyone know who makes the Honda stuff??  

• Like 1