Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators

Good point Pete, forgot to update it!

I tried the circlip and it fitted so i tried to budge the inner race from where it was hard up against the back of the hub. No joy. :(

Gave it some heat from the blowlamp, still no joy! Realising the blowlamp is more of a general purpose jobby and also it was out of gas, i gave up and came in to scour fleabay for anew gas cylinder - little CampingGaz C209 thing, the blowlamp pierces the dome and seals on it, very primitive!

Cheapest one i found was £3.99 + £1.99 P&P so £5.98 all in. While searching for it, i kept seeing adverts for a blowlamp attachment to go on the larger gas canisters used in those generic camping stoves. As i happened to have 4 of those still in the wrapping i looked closer at this other sort :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-CE-Certified-Safe-Butane-Gas-Blow-Torch-Lighter-Kitchen-Brazing-BBQ/391902688128?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

For about a fiver delivered it seemed rude not to when i have all those gas canisters sitting there!

It landed yesterday and was duly mated to a canister and tried heating the bearing race and then using the puller :

IMG_20180103_145031687.jpg

IMG_20180103_145038024.jpg

As you can see - progress! :D

With the aid of an old bearing and a bolt as packing, this happened :

IMG_20180103_150039478.jpg

IMG_20180103_150100356.jpg

This new blowlamp really works well, the circlip was almost white hot (it had gone way past red and yellow!) and even the race was a dull shade of orange! Made life so much easier to just draw it off that way!

Next on the agenda is to give the hub and knuckle a bit more treatment in the derusting bath, polish up the journal on the hub and the recess the bearing sits in and the hole for the ball joint, then put the knuckle and hub in the oven while the new bearing and ball joint spend some quality time together in the freezer.

Then i'll drop the ball joint and bearing into their respective holes, let the hub cool and then freeze it over night and pull it into the bearing. Then give it all a nice coat of black paint so it's ready for fitting. ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

Before i resorted to the blowlamp i'd already had the thing in the oven at 230C for over an hour and deliberately dropped it on the concrete outside to try and shift the bearing race.

As such the blow lamp was the only option! :o

Worked though and i'm glad i found the dodge of using the old circlip from the ball joint to give the puller something to errrr......... pull on! :P;):D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

This morning was change the tail light bulb, it had gone dim like the other side from a few months back.

Check oil, hmm, seems to have used a small amount but nice and clean, top up the windscreen washers (using a lot of fluid at the moment:rolleyes:)

And have a look at the engine mount,,, not sure about this? have posted on the thread re mounts in the engine section.

tUXUMeA.jpg

W7lLUdp.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Bit of an update on the wheel bearing saga! After getting the new bearing into the knuckle and the ball joint and the hub, all painted up so it looks nice again, my mate came over this morning to help me fit it.

After suitable quantities of caffeine based lubricant, we went out, got the old knuckle off fairly quickly (thanks to my previous maintenance procedures and some "WMP") and offered the replacement up.

Then my mate said "Errr, lefty-loosey, right-tighty" and pointed at the knuckle.

Somehow, i don't know how, but i've reconditioned a RIGHT HAND knuckle from my stash of spares! :blush: Bear in mind i checked the orientation of various parts of the knuckle against a complete 827 front subframe assembly (when i say complete, it has the driveshafts still in the knuckle, springs/shocks, everything in fact except the steering rack which is in the garage) to double-check (about 12 times i checked as something kept niggling that it looked wrong!) and the reason i got it wrong?

I forgot the brake reaction bars had been removed to look at the bushes, they were put back loose on the "rear" side of the subframe so it looked like it was the front. D'oh! :blush::rolleyes:

Anyway, the correct nearside knuckle is now derusting in the tank, i'll order a new bearing in a couple of days, i already have a spare ball joint and have worked out the methods so it should (in theory at least) be easier this time.

I suppose it's a blessing in disguise, i'd normally do both sides of whatever to be on the safe side anyway. The old bearing was horrendously noisy even just spinning it by hand, chances are that the drivers side one would go soon and the ball joints are a known weak spot.

The saga continues! ;):D

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
2 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Oh, and Stu, I washed and waxed it !!! :P....embarrassing seeing all those clean motors at Honda6 HQ .:rolleyes: 

Goodman, I'm cluttered with coupes although mines the only clean car out of all of them really, the rest would pass but barely. :blush:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, hughezee said:

mines the only clean car out of all of them really, the rest would pass but barely. :blush:

Hmm, you need a new camera then! They look good in pics !!

Or, better still you need to open a car wash outside yours :lol:..extra revenue for team Honda  ....not sure if neighbours would approve although a discount for them might help!!! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today
  • Moderators

Very brief update on this wheel bearing saga! It really is turning into a palaver, the bearing that was fitted in the knuckle that came off the car (correct side this time) appears to have been fitted with Loctite and skew-whiff at that!

I suspect it's picked up a burr on the inside somewhere - i've had two blowlamps on it, FBH and a drift, frameworks welded up to use a 3T bottle jack and it still isn't out!

Got a few more things to try before the last resort which will be to knock out the inner race, use a die-grinder to grind most of the outer race shell away then split it with a chisel.

Either way once it's (eventually!) out, the knuckle will be thoroughly deburred, cleaned, polished with rubbing compound (it brings up almost a mirror finish) so the new bearing goes in without a problem. Same goes for the reluctant balljoint!

Further updates as and when, at the moment there's nothing to report except i'm still trying! ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

Slightly more positive update on my ongoing wheel bearing saga! The new vice landed yesterday so i continued trying to shift the bearing from the knuckle that came off the coupé. It still doesn't want to shift so i picked up another left-hand knuckle that i had previously dismissed because it was generally rusty.

Within an hour the ball joint was out, courtesy of some WMP and gentle fettling with the blowlamp, the hub came out fairly easily as well and the bearing has moved as well.

Then the new vice broke! :o

I left the bearing soaking in WMP overnight so hopeful i should be able to remove it today and refurb the knuckle with the new bearing and ball joint fitted so it's ready to go on the car.

Still miffed about the new vice, i've emailed the seller so might get a response at some point today! ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Slightly more positive update on my ongoing wheel bearing saga! The new vice landed yesterday so i continued trying to shift the bearing from the knuckle that came off the coupé. 

Then the new vice broke! :o

Still miffed about the new vice, i've emailed the seller so might get a response at some point today! ;):D

Mate also got a new vice before Christmas...broke on second use, monkey metal from China.:angry:

Still, looks like you are getting somewhere now with bearing saga :D

• Like 1

• Moderators

So far it's the jaws that have broken, the screws holding them in sheared (made of cheese i think!) allowing them to flex and broken down the middle with a crystalline fracture - metal fatigue! :o

A couple of weeks back i bought an M16 (same size as used for bolting tow-balls to towbars) x 150mm long bolt with a nut and washer to go with it. Hoping to use this to pull the bearing out now it's had a soak!

Just got to psyche myself up to go out in the blizzard to get to the shed! :o

• Haha 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Still, looks like you are getting somewhere now with bearing saga :D

IMG_20180206_162355113.jpg

Bearing out at last! Wound it most of the way out use an M16 x 150mm bolt, nut and washer and some old alternator pulleys, if the vice hadn't broken i could have got it the rest of the way!

Also got the ball joint out :

IMG_20180206_162406123.jpg

Polished the bearing aperture ready for the new bearing :

IMG_20180206_164157769.jpg

Cleaned the ball joint aperture as well but didn't polish it :

IMG_20180206_164151978.jpg

That was about halfway through the clean-up.

The ball joint is halfway in but i'd had enough for today so called it a day after these two milestones :

IMG_20180206_183329602.jpg

Bearing in and circlip fitted!

IMG_20180206_184154321.jpg

Hub fitted into the bearing.

Just got to finish fitting the ball joint tomorrow and clean, maybe paint the rest of the knuckle and it's ready for refitting! About time too! ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

On it's wheels tomorrow, then ? :P

Well it's on it's wheels at the moment with a back-to-front knuckle on the left front! :o

Made some great headway ! bet you feel good now !:lol:

No, feel absolutely shattered! :lol:

Excellent job :D

1 hour ago, hughezee said:

Great work that man :D

Thanks both of you! I cheated a little - once i'd got the bearing as far as i could get it without a functioning vice, i phoned a local auto-electricians. Now when i worked in the trade, we had presses for bearing removal and could do almost any size bearing, slip rings and so on. The auto-electricians i phoned said yeah, they could help so got in the Volvo and trundled off to their place. One look of horror later and they confessed they don't have a bearing press!

Astounded i asked how they got the bearings out on a rebuild of an alternator, starter or whatever. Turns out they use small hand-held bearing remover tools! :o Patting a large Cajavec/Butec starter (just over a foot long and almost 6" diameter and they weigh a flaming ton (especially when you're under a lorry trying to fit the damned things!) i said i bet the pullers weren't much good for the bearings in that! The response? A sheepish grin! In other words they don't change them because they rarely wear out strangely. Can still cause problems even if they on;y have a small amount of wear, the "yoof of today" strikes again!

Anyhow - i digress! They referred me to their neighbour, Suffolk Wood Chips. A quick chat and matey wandered off with the knuckle and bearing together, came back with them separated.

Looking in the first photo above, you can see how much the WMP has penetrated - considering the bearing is a press fit and the traces are pretty much everywhere, it shows just how effective it is!

Anyway, the M16 x 150 nut and bolt pulled the new bearing in quite happily, same went for the hub. Did it fairly quickly and easily thanks to the prep work.

Hopefully finish it off tomorrow then give my mate a call to see when he can give me a hand to refit it and the other one to the correct side! ;):D

• Like 2

• Founding Member
On 01/02/2018 at 6:37 PM, hughezee said:

Coupe calamities over the last few days with Dave's motor & projects vehicles, few updates on topics to follow on those... :rolleyes: On a brighter note swapped over my rear lights with all red USA version tonight and well impressed, had to swap the USDM plugs with UKDM plugs (no wire cutting) + fitted all new seals & bulbs. :D

Stu’s new rear lights look B) as they’re the same red as the middle bit so they all look like one piece. Likey Likey. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

The ultimate update on the wheel bearing saga! After getting the knuckle rebuilt, my mate came over yesterday and the knuckle was duly fitted. Although it took less than an hour it was bitterly cold and damp out there so after a very quick test drive to confirm it was all good and turning the Coupé round in readiness to fit the other knuckle, went inside for a coffee and warmth break.

The weather however had other ideas! Started dispensing "liquid sunshine" so instead of fitting the other knuckle (which can be done later in the warm and dry of his workshop) took the car for an extended test drive.

Everything worked well including the air-con - turning the heater to defog the screen dropped the output temperature from "thermo-nuclear to merely fallout from Chernobyl" hot. The CD player was a bit lazy, that will improve with time and use though (i hope!) so now it just needs a bit more use. ;):D

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Today Was Tourer day BUT I did manage to get two of the wheels on the Coupe clear of the ravages of the winter road salt :angry:..... I would love to shove said salt mix up some of the Councillors ...erm, yes, quite....

The alloy on the wheels, which I spent a lot of time cleaning and polishing last year has taken a battering so stainless steel wool and Solvol  followed by rag/solvol to polish it up... tomorrow it gets a waxing to go with it... then I can do the other side !!:rolleyes:

• Like 2

• Moderators

Today was a none event, went to move the Coupe so i could work on other side of car and clean the wheels up..... Turned over, started then died,........wont start at all now.

Guess which bit I am taking off it at the weekend !!!:rolleyes:      AGAIN !!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...