Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators

Big clean up today, inside and out, full leather treatment plus a spruce up outside including the wheels and exhaust trims , whoopee !!!

Another dent on left rear flank plus more scrapes...I hate carparks...🤬🤬🤬

20220425-171235.jpg

20220425-170244.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

Today I got a bit of time to change the cabin (pollen) filters to the new Blueprint I bought the other week.

It is five years since the last change and as I had the aircon represurised a few days ago now seemed to be a good time to change the filters.

The filters are a pig to get to and therefore rather than wasting time checking and cleaning them out it makes sense to replace them after the considerable dismantling required to access them in the first place.

Why they couldn't just put them in an access panel behind the glove box only the designer could say !!!!!

These are the old ones ...

20220430-172251.jpg

And a close up, not nice !!! Although not as bad as they were when I first changed them after I got Greenie.

20220430-172310.jpg

Just in case you feel lucky, or get the urge 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 here is the how to from Stu !!

• Like 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Blimey, that's clean for a dirty one! The "clean" side of mine was dirtier than the dirty side of yours! :o

Yes but this is a new one !!!, last times pic from five years ago but the replacement is the same and two quid cheaper !! Result !!!

When the folds on the old one are opened up they are pretty full and the clean side is grey too, the dust beginning to come through , I had to vac out the housing that had debris in too.

Blueprint_ADH22509.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

I did the Jag one the other day, the "clean side" was black and the dirty side filled with leaves etc and blacker than the black of the clean side. I've got some pics somewhere, once i learn how to load them onto this PC................

• Haha 3

• Moderators

Totally forgot yesterday,  due to an onslaught of a cold, to do the other job outstanding on the Coupe.

Then,  having woken at 3am this morning,  I was "wiped" out until into this afternoon....pretty appropriately really as it was the new Denso wipers that needed fitting 🙃🙃🙃

Anyway, done now, definitely look better and now it's trying to rain as well, just in time !!

20220501-153821.jpg

Think I need to refurb the arms too, again !!

Coupe also got a bath to celebrate!!

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Well I started the brake work on the coupe today.  Took off all the wheels, put penetrating oil on the bleed nipples.  Slackened off the handbrake.  Incidentally when I looked at the handbrake adjuster before slackening it off, there was a major inbalance between the cables with the central adjuster around 60 degrees shorter on the NSR than the OSR.  Is that a problem  or is it simply that one side has a shorter (or newer) cable ?

In the process of putting penetrating oil on the front offside bleed nipple, I noticed the drop link had come apart.  No not come undone, both nuts still tight, however the top ball was no longer in its socket and the arm dangled loose.

Stop brake work, find spare drop link (handy to have such a spare lying around) then try to undo the 2 rusty bolts (14mm for future reference). When I started trying to find the correct socket, they would appear to have been a 17mm....

Such a simple sounding job, just the 2 bolts and a nice new drop link to hand.  Got socket to fit, heaved, and the whole rear round socket end turned too.  OK, cut off plastic ball socket cover, file flats on ball, apply stilson wrench to the flates and heave again  - they both actually unscrewed! Now fit the drop link, tighten nuts I thought and the job was done.  But not so, the nuts only tightened so far and then started spinning the whole ball joint in the new housing.  Luckily these drop links had an allen key socket  in the centre of the bolt, so I could hold them - once I found the one allen key I needed but was strangely missiing from its place amongst the others....

So new drop link in place (3hrs!!!) , I tried the bleed nipples and got 2 to turn, NSF  & OSR.  More fluid on the others and have left them until tomorrow.... TBC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

It's that " one job leads to another" syndrome,  Paul  !!!!!

Simple jobs always seem to get more complicated,  much like life , I guess !!!

Drop links are a pain , just had the same recently with a Jazz,  (jazzy life thread) ended up cutting the offending item off with a multicutter/ disk cutter/ spanner/ / Allen key/ pump plier/ lubricant type " tool " 😂😂😂😂😂

At least you achieved one job and are well on the way to getting to the original job done !!! 

Keep soaking your nuts, you know it makes sense !!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Site Subscriber’s

An AC engineer came round the other day and found the leak that others couldn't find. It's the seals in the dryer unit in front of the condenser. I suppose they've been in there 24 years. Didn't want to be charged 2hrs labour to get the bumper on and off, so I'll do that myself. Any excuse to do the little jobs like unseizing the headlight bulbs that had got stuck, and scrubbing up the bumper bar. 

IMG_20220502_155514_707.jpg

IMG_20220502_155514_667.jpg

IMG_20220502_155514_590.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, PaulS said:

Well I started the brake work on the coupe today.  Took off all the wheels, put penetrating oil on the bleed nipples.  Slackened off the handbrake.  Incidentally when I looked at the handbrake adjuster before slackening it off, there was a major inbalance between the cables with the central adjuster around 60 degrees shorter on the NSR than the OSR.  Is that a problem  or is it simply that one side has a shorter (or newer) cable ?

In the process of putting penetrating oil on the front offside bleed nipple, I noticed the drop link had come apart.  No not come undone, both nuts still tight, however the top ball was no longer in its socket and the arm dangled loose.

Stop brake work, find spare drop link (handy to have such a spare lying around) then try to undo the 2 rusty bolts (14mm for future reference). When I started trying to find the correct socket, they would appear to have been a 17mm....

Such a simple sounding job, just the 2 bolts and a nice new drop link to hand.  Got socket to fit, heaved, and the whole rear round socket end turned too.  OK, cut off plastic ball socket cover, file flats on ball, apply stilson wrench to the flates and heave again  - they both actually unscrewed! Now fit the drop link, tighten nuts I thought and the job was done.  But not so, the nuts only tightened so far and then started spinning the whole ball joint in the new housing.  Luckily these drop links had an allen key socket  in the centre of the bolt, so I could hold them - once I found the one allen key I needed but was strangely missiing from its place amongst the others....

So new drop link in place (3hrs!!!) , I tried the bleed nipples and got 2 to turn, NSF  & OSR.  More fluid on the others and have left them until tomorrow.... TBC.

I seem to recall someone doing a write-up about changing front drop links and talking about the problem of the nut being recessed in the lower suspension arm....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Founding Member

Brakes done - sort of....   New pads fited, but still have 2 unmoving bleed nipples that might move with a big enough bar, however I got worried that the nipples might snap off with too much force .  With spare calipers I would have proceeded to lever them into submission, but without spares I was not going to try it. 

Oh, and "wind the rear pistons back" implies they move....  Mine both certainly put up a good fight neccessitating the use of a breaker bar into the slot and a seperate bar through the breaker bar before they started to move..... With plenty of rubber lube and 2hrs labour, they now both wind in and out as originally designed ( I imagine...).  Had to use some 2000 grade wet & dry on the outside end of the rear pistons to get off some gunge that was stopping the piston returning down the barrel. 

The front pistons were supposed to be an easy push back, but again the brake caliper push bach tool failed due to corrosion I guess.  I took an old record vice to the car and used that to get the devils on the NSF to retract.  With a lot of to and fro work those pistons now move smoothly again!

Handbrake now starts to bite at 2 notches, but will have to be adjusted again properly once teh pads settle in.

With only 2 bleed nipples operable, I replaced all the brake fluid through those lines (using Comma Dot 4 ESP) , but old fluid still remains in the stuck bleed nipple calipers.

Brakes feel a bit better, but need good road use to settle in and the handbrake resetting.  Incidentally, I could not hear the auto adjusters working at the rear...although the levering mech certainly works.

Having a full set of sound pads (EBC front, Brembo rear) replacing those old ones (PAGID) without shims (2 anti squeal shims had fallen off - one jammed- and one pad had become unbonded from the backing plate!!).  The pads also now fit better after taking of the locating brakets and cleaning all the corrosion & gunk from underneath them.

I will see if I can get a seals kit for the calipers, or even a spare set of calipers so that I am better prepared for the next time I do this job...  And get a spare front  & rear drop link should I need to do that job again!

I think the MOT man back in January was quite correct when he observer "The braking system needs an overhaul!")

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Handbrake now starts to bite at 2 notches, but will have to be adjusted again properly once teh pads settle in.

You did slacken the handbrake cable before wrestling the rear pistons back in i hope?

• Like 1

• Founding Member
40 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

You did slacken the handbrake cable before wrestling the rear pistons back in i hope?

Definitely did...  a lot!  It was almost undone and the cables very slack.

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PaulS said:

I think the MOT man back in January was quite correct when he observer "The braking system needs an overhaul!")

Blimey,  with all that work you have done it would seem like you didn't have any brakes, near enough, at all !!!!

Anchor out of the back ???

Definetly looks like you are on the home home straight now, well done for perseverance in the face of adversity!!!

You might find it's easier to grab a couple of calipers from an exchange supplier rather than fight the old ones if they are really bad....downside , of course, is the cost...

I can't recall if I was unable to get a repair kit for mine, either unobtainable or out of stock possibly. 

• Like 2

• Founding Member
20 hours ago, PTR200S said:

You might find it's easier to grab a couple of calipers from an exchange supplier rather than fight the old ones if they are really bad....downside , of course, is the cost...

Probably cheaper to buy a whole scrap car.... So far not found any repair kits that are actually available, but would take cheap or free claipers in need to refurbishment and see what I could do....  It seems Brake Engineering has appropriate calipers but they will seemingly not deal directly with the public...

Been out all day on my push bike today, but will take the coupe for a short spin tomorrow and then see to final handbrake adjustment when the pads have settled in a bit. 

Then on to the wheel arch rust - already cut out the rotten bit and applied rust stopper to the remaining solid bit.  Need to fabricate and attach a replacement strip (fold in section on teh front offside wheek arch curve),  then a small bit of filler to blend it back into shape, then a bit of paint (latter not my strong point - much better with spanners...)

• Like 3

• Founding Member

It seems Brake Engineering's local agent (MotorParts Direct) only has available on service exchange ( +£64!)  the  left rear caliper for £136 (guess not too bad...and would replace the rear one with a stuck nipple!) whereas BE themselves say all 4 are available to their agents- but they will not sell them to me!!! - the story to be continued.

Heavy rain today made me put off today's planned work.  But at least my dirty overalls got washed!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, PaulS said:

whereas BE themselves say all 4 are available to their agents- but they will not sell them to me!!!

Ask them for a list of their agents then - if one of those agents says they can't get the parts you want, go back to BE with a complaint that their agents aren't doing what they should. ;):D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaulS said:

It seems Brake Engineering's local agent (MotorParts Direct) only has available on service exchange ( +£64!)  the  left rear caliper for £136 (guess not too bad...and would replace the rear one with a stuck nipple!) whereas BE themselves say all 4 are available to their agents- but they will not sell them to me!!! - the story to be continued.

Heavy rain today made me put off today's planned work.  But at least my dirty overalls got washed!!

Paul, you could try https://www.biggred.co.uk/ in Worcester.  At my last mot, there was a significant imbalance on the rear brakes that only just passed.  I think the piston is stuck on one side and I did make enquiries with bigg red, though not done anything about it yet.  I think they did have the necessary seals in stock and can do the refurb if needed.  

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

Thankfully - for the moment -no new calipers are required.    Brake work finished today including road test. The foot brake. and handbrake work well and the coupe stops easily in a straight line.

I looked at Bigg Red too, thanks for the tip.  They do rear caliper seal lits for a reasonable £24, but no replacement calipers.  Front seal kits are wrongly listed though - Bigg Red's only offer a one piston kit.... whereas our 3.0l coupes are 2 piston calipers at  the front...

• Like 2

• Moderators

Tonight was a quick fluid check as I am working Saturday now and one of them was LOW 🤔🤔🤔🙄🙄 NOOOH,,,

the good news , it was just the washer fluid 🤣

Everything else was bang on, tyres:check, nothing amiss 

Air con is running great after the gas up,  ice cold, and the new cabin filters seem to have given it a clear mountain air feel to it!!

I luruuuuvvvv my Coupe 😍😍😍😍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Had to give the old girl a bit of a clean out tonight , ooh err,.

The Coupe is still on work duty and having done eight days straight she was looking a bit jaded (yes, it's green ! )

With no work respite until this weekend coming it will be a big clean up event come Saturday ! 

As usual, there is no change in fluid levels except that gauge marked " feck" which is empty again 😱😱😱😱 err and the washer fluid of course...my new Denso Wipers working great !!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founding Member
44 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Decided to have a blast in the coupe 😍 love that machine...

It’s hard enough being without my coupe already and now you’re deliberately making me miss mine more now mate! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3